Monday, June 20, 2011

Lovin' the Lowcountry

We were in Charleston, SC for a week of vacation last week with family and friends!  I managed to drive around the old village of Mt. Pleasant and found some charming houses.  This vacation was very active with so little time!

This little cottage sits on the marsh and has spectacular views!
This grand home is on the Isle of Palms.  I adore the landscaping...well, the house, too!
This old bike was tucked on an old cottage porch near the sea.  L.O.V.E.
I am still dreaming of my cruiser bike...not a need, just a want, so I am saving my pennies!
We loaded our bikes and rode to the beach...
...for some fun in the sun!
And a little diggin' in the sand.
We played tic-tac-toe at dusk...my favorite time on the beach!
With family and friends, we took a canoe/kayak trip down the Edisto River. 
My daughter is nine and paddled five miles by herself!  The water was low with little movement, so this was a task! 
She cools off with a splash after all the hard work!
My youngest daughter guzzles down a bottle of water beneath the beautiful oak trees drenched with Spanish moss.  The trees are mesmerizing! With the big smudge on her face, you would think she had put in a long hard day of paddling; however, we hadn't even left the bank yet!
At five, she did her fair share of the work! 
My sister, her oldest son and our dear friend Daniel paddle close by for the nine mile trip, supposedly a three hour tour.  "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, that started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour. A three hour tour."
  
The water was very low, so the trip took all day!  When I travel with this crowd, I have learned to expect anything! As part of our 'survival skills' lesson, we learned that we did not pack enough water!  We had a compass and matches, though!  Our survival book says to pack items to sustain you for a full 24 hours, even if it is only a three hour tour!  All along the river, there were these makeshift zip lines and tire swings.
  The wildlife is amazing.  These beautiful great white egrets were nesting in this old tree.
And this hawk was perched looking for his next meal.  We actually got to see him catch his dinner!  I'll spare you the pictures, but what a site to see!
We certainly didn't want to be a part of this guy's meal.  This gator is located in a pond on the island.
Speaking of meals!  We stopped by a roadside diner called 'Jack's Cosmic Dogs' for their famous hotdogs.  It is a throwback in time!
We also enjoyed going to the old Pitt Street Pharmacy with its original stools and counter top and ordering an ice cream float.  You walk into these places and feel like it is 1950!
We dressed the kids and took them to a fancy restaurant called, 'The Boathouse.'  It indulges mom for them to get dressed up and to learn some manners!  When they were younger, I used to beg for a break, but now that they are a little older, I enjoy hanging out with them!
We made our regular visit to the farmer's market to buy some fresh fruits and vegetables.
My husband splurged and let the kids have a coke.  He never lets them drink coke!  So much for getting our healthy meal at the market!  We ended up eating there and taking our fresh goods home for the next night!  Can you see the sheer delight on her face?
This old joggling board reminds me of times gone by.  These are very popular in downtown Charleston and are lots of fun for bouncing!
There is nothing better than the smell of the ocean, the breeze on your face and the freedom of the open space!
I love the Lowcountry with its marshy smell and ocean breeze.  I love the restaurants and the history.  I love the beach, the sand and the ocean...and all the treasures we find!
 
Thanks for stopping by to see some of the Lowcountry of South Carolina!

Megan at Little Blue Prints asked me to write a post about my Summertime Favorites!  Stop by to see my favorites and check out her sweet blog!  While you are there, check out her other guests and their summertime favorites!  You are sure to find some great ideas and come across some really cool new blogs!  Thanks Megan!  I had a lot of fun with this! 

On another note, Happy Father's Day to Rob!  He deserves this special day for all the time and effort he pours into reaching the hearts of these three little people!

Pin It Now!

19 comments :

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Christie you have such beautiful pictures. I recognized the house and egrets from Wild Dunes. We stayed there 2 years ago and I have a slew of gorgeous home photos from that trip! I love the ones you found in Mt.Pleasant too. You should see one I snapped right out the car window of a plantation home a few weeks ago on the road to Folly. I've been trying to figure out the best way to show it. Everything in Charleston is just so photogenic! Looks like you had a perfect vacation. Your children are absolutely adorable too!

BumbleBeeLane said...

Looks like a delightful trip.Thanks for taking us along for the ride.Warm Blessings!~Amy

JayLeigh said...

It looks like you had an incredibly fun time!! It's so neat to see the pictures and how different nature looks there than where I live in the Pacific Northwest! The pictures are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time... I'm loving the second house. wish I lived there...

Pattie

Unknown said...

What a wonderful vacation you had! My family and parents used to live in Summerville SC not terribly far from Charleston. And what a wonderful sleepy gentle that place is. Many fond memories! Your pictures are beautiful!!

Unknown said...

AMAZING! Just got back from there myself. So beautiful. I just adore all of those great photos you took.

Savannah Granny said...

Christie, your photos are awesome. Such treasures. I too love the
lowcounty as that is where I hang my had daily. Thank you for showing all that this area of the country has to offer.
I am always in awe of my surroundings. I can cycle the short distance to the local grocer and drive past egrets, hawks, painted buntings, gators and blooming century plants.
Thanks again for spotlighting the southeast coast.
Hugs, Ginger

Peggy said...

Great photos. By the way you have beautiful children! I love your blog.

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit! I live about 30 minutes from most of the places you spoke about. It's funny because I think it's a nice place to visit, but I HATE living here! Summer starts in April and goes through October! I am ready for a four seasons life! :)
Hope you come back again!

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

I absolutely LOVE Charleston, SC!! The National Trust just placed the city on their 2011 Most Endagnered Places "Watch List" due to concerns about the effects of the cruise ship industry. I hope they will continue to sensitively preserve Charleston's historic built environment for future generations. Looks like you are having a wonderful time!

Chandra Chinnis said...

Being that my husband is from Charleston when we go down I never get to do the tourist stuff. Can you please tell me where the eating places you went are and the farmers market. I want my kids to experience Charleston for all its history and not just for daddy's hometown. You can email me at chandrachinnis@aol.com Thanks

kayce hughes said...

Beautiful photos. I have never been and I want to jump in the car right now!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Looks like a fun vacation. I've been wanting a Cruiser bike, too! :)

1 Funky Woman said...

Seriously beautiful kids and pictures! Love the tic tac toe how creative and that old bike, love it!

Megan

Unknown said...

We vacation at Folly every summer!! Love, Love, Love Charleston!!!!

At The Picket Fence said...

Your kids are so darling Christie (except don't tell your oldest I think she looks darling...more like "quite the young lady", right?LOL!)! What a very special trip you had and so fun to get to be with family and make wonderful memories. My kiddos don't get Coke either so that would probably be their favorite thing of the trip too! :-)
Vanessa

Miss G said...

Charleston was already on my list of places to visit someday and this post has moved it right on up the list. Thanks! Kelly

Anonymous said...

Looks like the kids had a great time..We took our girls on vacation there years ago..It was beautiful down there..Loved the post..Great pictures..
Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...