Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Dutch Secretary

Wow.  That is all I can say to those of you who refinish furniture in like a day...this took me a year!
The drawer hardware was replaced with these pulls from Hobby Lobby at $2.99 each.
Painted lettering adds a touch of Swedish wit and lightness to furniture. Originally, lettering was used to name an owner, to record a family event, or simply to label the contents of a cupboard or dresser.
I chose 'No. 3' because my daughter is our third child and the third one to own this dresser.  Because I am not so good at painting free hand, I chose something simple!  I contemplated painting the year the desk was made, but '1970' just seemed too groovy.  I also considered painting my mother's, my daughter's and my initials.
The paint colors are Creamy and Krypton by Sherwin Williams.  I had seen a dresser at Miss Mustard Seed with these colors and wrote to inquire.
 
My daughter is in kindergarten, but I hope she will use this desk for homework in the future.
Among the independent nations recognized by the UN, the Scandinavian flags are considered as the oldest continuously used flags in the world. These whimsical replicas of the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish flags present the traditional cross with pretty ribbon and bright fabric.
Here are several shots of the flags.  I think it would be easy to sew or make with lovely scrap paper.

I like the little pop of color of the flags in this otherwise monochromatic room.
The clown is by Maileg, a toy maker of little Danish pixies and bunnies and other adorable things.  I found the Penguin Classic books at TJMaxx.  I had seen them {here} at Anthropologie and loved them.
These are Reader's Digest books I found at a thrift store for $2 each.  Aren't these covers great? 
I bought the little felt windmill years ago as a Christmas ornament.  It reminds me of the Netherlands.
The baby shoes are displayed and are sweet to remember tiny little feet and tiny little people!
 
The Princess and the Pea crochet doll and bed, another Maileg toy was a Christmas gift from Santa.
One of my readers corrected me about the origin of wooden clogs. The Dutch style clogs are traditionally made entirely of wood and don’t incorporate leather like Swedish clogs.   Thank you!
This was the first 'nice' piece of furniture that my parents purchased when they were first married. It is a Henredon double bonnet secretary desk.
It sat in a shed at our farmhouse for over ten years.  My dad cleaned out the shed and gave it to me. 
I think it would have cost a fortune to repair the wood and veneer.  I wrote to Marian of Miss Mustard Seed a year ago for some guidance.  I had never repaired or refinished a piece of furniture before!  As busy as she is, she responded so promptly and answered my questions along the way.
My husband is the handy one around here, but I did all the sanding and repair and paint myself (hence the yearlong project!)
Original drawer pulls were replaced for some with cleaner lines.
I added some brown paint to the brass screws to match the aged hardware.
 
Published in Homespun Magazine October 2013!
 
 
 
 

To see more of this room, click {here} and {here.}
Whew.  One project done...so many to go!
Thanks for stopping by!
See the sites I link to advertised on my sidebar.  Please stop by and check out all of their great blogs and link parties!
I am linking to my favorite sites here and below:
Furniture Feature FridaysPhotobucketFeathered Nest FridayDomestically Speaking{Primp}2805bws tips buttonFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreaming I Heart Nap Time The Girl CreativeMaking Monday Marvelous Linky PartyRedouxAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyTodays Creative BlogPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketTransformation ThursdayA Crafty SoireeSomewhat Simple


Thank you so much for the feature!

DIY by Design

Pin It Now!

59 comments :

birdie blue said...

it's perfect, christie. it's easy to see why it would take almost a year. so much attention to detail. i'm sure your daughter loves it. darling 'scandinavian' accessories, too. love the flag garland, especially.

enjoy your weekend, my friend.
xo
molly

Tammy @ Type A said...

gorgeous!

mary beth said...

Oh my gosh! This looks incredible! It looks so great in the room too...your little girl should love doing her homework there for sure, and someday she will treasure this piece for all of the hard work you've put into it!

Unknown said...

I cannot believe you found the Penguin Classic books at TJMAXX. Wow. I have been longing for the pink Anne of Green Gables one, but just can't bring myself to pay the 15 dollars.

Karen said...

Christie, I can hand it to you girl! It is beautiful. Love all the little special touches you have added. p.s. just worked on my very first piece of furniture

Laurie said...

I really like what you did with the secretary. Thank goodness someone else starts projects and doesn't finish them until a year later. Finishing furniture is downright scary. The colors of the flags are great and love the books!

Ann said...

Oh my goodness, what a fabulous transformation. It takes me time to refinish too. Every touch you have included is just beautiful, like the #3. I adore the shoes in the cubbys and the clown and flags. You should be very proud, it is gorgeous.

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh, Christie! That is absolutely divine! So perfectly sweet and traditional and something that will grow right along with her. You did such an incredible job and ever detail is perfection, right down to the flags and baby shoes. I just love when little girls rooms look like little girls rooms, you know? LOL! Your daughter is the one who looks like the princess sitting there on her bed. :-) Great job my friend!
Vanessa

Babs said...

Christie, I love how you 'saved' the secretary. You gave it a beautiful new life. Well done!
Babs

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

What a beautiful secretary! You did a wonderful job with sprucing it up :)

Michele Smith said...

Wow! This is beautiful.. I've been haunting craigslist for a secretary to put in our living room..I didn't even think of using one in our daughter's room. Thank you for the inspiration!!! Your daughter is adorable!

Nancy Elizabeth Carey said...

a year - not bad :) know how you feel...i often take on too many projects and some take about that long to start...looks great! xo nancy

Designing Domesticity said...

Adorable! I love it. I feel your pain on the lengthy refinishing project though - I just completed an armoire in our living room and thought it would take a weekend but in reality it was more like two weeks! liz

Pamela Gordon said...

This is such a beautiful piece of furniture and I think you did an amazing job on it. (I'd never get it done!!) I love all the sweet decorations you have added to it. Perfect for you little girl! Blessings, Pamela

Anonymous said...

That turned out beautiful! The color combination is stunning.

Mel's Designs from the Cabin said...

Nice Job on the secretary and the flags...such attention to detail...I like the blue checked chair most...very countryfied...day break has arrived...time to get the family up for school...I enjoyed my time with you this morning...as always....Mel's Designs from the Cabin...Mel

Kristal said...

Visiting from Furniture Feature Friday.
Your make over looks stunning!! I have just started refinishing furniture myself and don't see how some of these people turn stuff out as fast as they do! I can see why this took you a year. And I simply adore the decorations. I fell in love with the flag garland. I might have to try and recreate one for our home.
I will be a new blog and Pinterest follower!!!

Have a great weekend!!
XoXo,
Kristal

Michele @ {Primp} said...

So beauitful--great job! I love the extra little touches on your secretary, like the pulls and the painted No.3. The flag bunting and all the accessories are so charming--did you sew the flag? Thanks for such lovely inspiration--if you have time, I would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on now.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

This redo is just fantastic! Love the choice of colors, and it looks wonderful in your daughter's room. The flag garland is the perfect touch as well as the shoe accessories. Your daughter is a lucky, young lady.

Honey at 2805 said...

You did a splendid job! I would be delighted if you would lin up to Potpourri Friday!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love this makeover Christie and love how you have styled everything!! So charming and sweet!! Thanks for linking up at FNF :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Christie, this is just lovely! You've turned an heirloom piece into a true keepsake for your daughter. I have my aunt's secretary that she had in her room as a girl and have been contemplating painting it to give it new life... you've sealed the deal with this post!
Heidi @ Show Some Decor
PS- the flags are just marvelous. Touche!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Wow--what a transformation--I love it! That princess and the pea doll is so cute too!

Anonymous said...

Is gorgeous!! I love all of the decorative touches as well.

Miss Mustard Seed

jninecostumes said...

Your desk came out fantastically. Love the little flag bunting. It is all so special and I love Miss Mustard Seed as well.

bobetta said...

Beautiful!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Fantastic! Absolutely lovely! I'm sure your daughter knows what a great mommy she has! Beautifully done. Found you via Fireflies and Jellybeans. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/voice-studio.html

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

The Dutch Secretary looks fantastic. I love the soft colours you painted it and the contrast with the blue on the inside. The chain of flags is the crowning glory on it.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and what a great job you did on it..Have a great weekend..
Janet

Meredith Resnick said...

It was worth the year! looks AMAZING!

~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking A Mother Seeking...

My City Backyard Garden

Honey at 2805 said...

You turned an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan! She is gorgeous and I adore the way you "merchandised" in a whimsical way!

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday. You are an asset to the party and I appreciate you. I will look forward to seeing you every week!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is absolutely lovely! And your accessories are delightful.

rachel@Acts of Life said...

This is a wonderful furniture makeover,the secretary looks great. I love all the little scandinavian touches in the room. Now I want to go make a flag banner....that turned out so cute!! I love your clogs too...lovely room!

Rachel :)

Twice Nice said...

Truly beautiful! All the little touches like the Readers Digest book covers and the flags really make it complete!
Deb

Ellen said...

A beautiful piece for a beautiful lil girl.
Hugs,
Ellen

Nina said...

oh. my. goodness. favorite new blog for sure. You had me at your header, and then it just kept getting better! I am new to the south, not sure where you are from, but your blog is just speaking to me!

Marianne said...

I love your pennant of Scandinavian flags. It is beautiful. The hutch is beautiful too and I wish I had one now.

Kathleen said...

Just beautiful! You always have such a great eye for what makes a room special! Love it!

Chessa @ Antsi-Pants said...

Beautiful! You did a great job refinishing it! I hope your daughter enjoys it too!

Allison Shops said...

You did a wonderful job! Love the colors. The shoes and Princess and the Pea are too cute!

Dropping by from Met Monday.

Allison
Atticmag
Vintage Gumwood Cabinet Kitchen

Amy Chalmers said...

This room is so pretty, there are many reasons I like it. I think the blue and white gingham chair looks darling next to the secretary you redid, esp when you leave it open~so perfect in color. I love the happy little banner strung across and the wilton style carpet~a real nice job. Glad I found your blog.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is one beautiful transformation! Your daughter will really enjoy this piece as she grows up. The whole room is adorable!

DIYbyDesign said...

Wow, that came out beautiful. I would love for you to share it at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you there.

a quiet life said...

looks darling with so many cute touches~

Deborah March said...

OH-MY-GOSH...a year...well worth every single SECOND you spent on it...utterly SPECTACULAR!!!

Anneke at This, That and Life said...

Wow...that's one lucky little girl. My daughter just started kindergarten...they might be best friends. :-)

Cassie Bustamante said...

i absolutely love this piece, and love the bunting, too! i did a swedish flag piece of furniture a couple weeks ago- i love soft norwegian inspiration!

Andi said...

oh wow this is such a beautiful piece. I love everything about it! And your daughters room is just adorable. Love all the special touches.

Sherrie said...

It make of taken a year but your result is gorgeous! This is a beautiful piece! I love your bunting too!

joanne said...

gorgeous piece of furniture.....your daughter is lovely as well......this is really an inspiration.....thank you for the post...btw,,,came over here from miss mustard seed....now following you too......smile...

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

really really really cute!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

This was definitely worth a year long effort. You made an old piece beautiful again. Hopefully, it will be enjoyed for a long time to come.

Allison said...

I saw your piece featured on Primitive and Proper today. It is gorgeous, Christie! You did a fabulous job. It's a masterpiece! Your daughter is adorable and what a darling room she has. You have styled it beautifully.

KimMalk said...

This turned out so fresh and light looking, far different than the before. I hope your daughter cherishes it and gets a lot of use out of it. I love all of the accessories you found--they are just perfect. My favorite is the Swedish flag banner.

r4i said...

What a wonderful little special touches you have added. That is absolutely divine! The flag bunting and all the accessories are so charming, I sure you sew that flag at home.

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

This is beautiful! Awesome. I featured it today. Come grab check it out and grab a button!

Kim

http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/09/good-morning-sunshine_26.html

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Christie, This piece is gorgeous and something your daughter can use for many years. It is perfect for her room. Thank you so much for linking to the Open House party and take care.
Hugs,
Sherry

DIYbyDesign said...

I will be featuring this awesome makeover tonight at my link party that opens at 8pm EST tonight. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

This piece has such wonderful bones, it could be used and even made over again in the future...if you were up to the task. ;) It looks so lovely in your daughter's room, Christie.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...