Friday, September 30, 2011

Vintage Football Pennants and a Boys Room

My children's grandfather graduated from Penn State in the fifties.  My husband is a huge fan, so I went looking and found this 1950's vintage football pennant for my sons' room.
His room has always looked like this, since he was a baby.  I decided the football pennants might make him feel a little more like the big boy he is!  He loves football!
This dresser sits opposite of his bed.  Mason and his oldest sister are eighteen months apart.  They have always been the best of buddies.  I love this Maritime Blessing with their picture in it when they were 2 and 3 years old.
My son is also crazy about trucks.  While this is a cute vintage repro, he loves the "Ford F450 4x4 with four wheels in the back and two in the front."  I sound like I know what I am talking about, because I have heard him say it so many times!
We used to live in Charleston, SC so his room is a reminder of the beach with its nautical theme.  He used to need this little stool just to climb in the bed.
A painting of the fishing boats at Shem Creek hangs above a quilt from my sister and a quilt rack made by my uncle as a wedding gift.  The postage stamp quilt is from Kohl's (pillow shams, too!)
Rob and I went to Clemson and love some Clemson football, too!  I found this vintage pennant on-line, as well.  The orange color has faded to a yellow, but I love the old look of it.  Go Tigers!
I offered to take the whale down thinking he might have outgrown it.  He wants to leave it and the stuffed animals...I guess at 8 years old, he is somewhere between a little boy and a big boy.  His grandma knitted the elephant.
 We added this room in our basement.  It has high ceilings and accommodates the old rowing oars; however, there are only two small windows adjacent to his bed, so the lighting is terrible!
Legos, Legos and more Legos.  I know soon enough these will be gone, as he moves on to other things, but for now, I love to see this little pile of Legos!  The white star flag hangs above a vintage school desk.  The flag is a replica of one that flew on the Titanic.
Sports Pennants
The Land of Nod has these pennants for a little boy's room.  Prices vary for vintage football pennants.  Shop around!  I paid under $10 for each of mine.  After the Penn State pennant arrived, my husband informed me that he had several old pennants of his dads!  He has the exact same one that I ordered!

I love to see the world through the eyes of a little boy!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!
Pin It Now!

9 comments :

Unknown said...

My boys are obsessed with all things truck and tractor too, so I'm really loving your litte truck. Around here we call the truck "with 4 wheels at the back" a dually (as in dual wheels.) Love the room, and the quilt and pennants look awesome. Great job.

At The Picket Fence said...

I just love Mason's room Christie and smiled when I read that he doesn't want you to change anything! I have offered several times to make some small changes to Ian's room and he won't let me. :-) I'm ok with that since everything else seems to be moving forward too quickly! I only wish the pile of Legos in his room looked a bit more like Mason's instead of the mountain of them we have. I love the pennants and think they definitely add the perfect "big boy" touch!
Have a great weekend my friend...wish our boys could play together,
Vanessa

Kelly said...

What a charming boys room! My youngest son is 10 and still loves his legos too. He has billions it seems! I had to display them in bookcases after he put together so many sets. I like how you decorated his room with a nautical feel. Love the bedding (so classic) and the oars above the bed. They make such a statement!

Katherines Corner said...

A wonderful room for a growing boy. I love that you found that old pennant. Hugs and sincere wishes for a weekend filled with joy, Katherine

Unknown said...

He may or may not out grow the LEGOs! I'm 24 and I still love LEGOs!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Any/all of this would fit perfectly in my house. You have GREAT taste! :)

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Love the pennants in your son's room. We used to live in Mt. Pleasant, and you look very familiar. Did you used to work at the CVS pharmacy? We are making Clemson and Carolina scarecrows today!

Atticmag said...

Great room! Terrific job. Jane

Lella Loves... said...

Hello there :)
I just wanted to say that I love the teddies on the bed and the beautiful quilts. Your photos are really lovely.
I couldn't wait to find your button and add it to my blog.
Blessings
Lella xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...