Sunday, September 11, 2011

God's Imagination

 Mason (8 years old)
Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.”  So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
 ~Genesis 1:20-21
Mason asked me to ride in the canoe with him this morning.  It is easy to find myself saying "No, not right now.  Mom is busy doing xyz."  But, I am trying to stop what I am doing and to say, "Yes" more often.  I know soon enough I will want to spend time with them, and I will hear, "No Mom, not right now."  What am I doing anyway that would be more fun than drifting around the lake with my son?  He is my middle child, and I get so little time with him.  The girls are always with me, and he buddies with his dad.  I loved that he wanted it to be just the two of us.  
"Just Mommy and Mason", he says.  "Mom, you just sit and I will do all the paddling."  I felt kind of lazy with no paddle, but I guess it is a 'man' thing.  He wants to lead and be in charge.
We drift down the cove a bit, and Mason notices the little spiders dancing across the water.
"Look, Mom!  The spiders can walk on water just like Jesus!" he says.
"Isn't it amazing all the things the Lord has created.  God has such a BIG imagination!" I say.
Mason says, "Yes, but Mom, God can make His imagination come ALIVE!"
I thought about this for a while.  My children constantly hear me saying, "No TV.  Use your mind and your imagination."  I think Mason is my child that has the largest imagination.  He can envision things and explain them like they are real.   He loves to build with his hammer, nails and a pile of wood and if you ask him, he has just made a boat the size of the Titanic!
It is amazing to think about God's imagination and to think how He thought of everything in the world!  Even when He walked in the garden with Adam and Eve, He already knew about cell phones, iPods, laptops, iPads, and computers!  Maybe He even had an iPhone in His pocket!  I doubt it, as I imagine that He loved the peace of the garden; a garden that He created down to the very tiny little water spiders that dance on water.
Mason and I talked about these things and I wondered how I ever say, "No, I am busy right now."  I would miss these sweet moments with him and our priceless conversations.
Ask yourself today if you are saying, "No" to the times your children want to spend time with you.  It is so easy to say, "Not right now."  Challenge yourself to stop what you are doing, and to say, "Yes."  You might be amazed at the great conversations you can have!
My heart goes out to all of you who lost loved ones 10 years ago today.  It is a day etched so clearly in our minds.  I pray for peace as we remember.
Blessings to you on this "Life Lessons" Sunday.
Pin It Now!

7 comments :

Rebecca said...

Glad you said "yes" and passed along the conversation :)

Pine Tree Home said...

Sweetness. Thanks for inspiring to live in the now and savor time with family.

Patty Marker said...

Such an important reminder. Take from one whos little one are grown...I cherish each moment with my two toddler grandchildren and take the time to sit on the porch or to have a picnic lunch on a blanket in the backyard. Those moments are irreplaceable. Beautiful scriptures, too.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Thanks for this reminder that we should take time for ones we love, even if it's a little inconvenient.

Jan said...

Christi, what a sweet story and wonderful experience to share as a reminder to us all to stop and appreciate what is right before us. The dishes can wait, the laundry can wait, the emails can wait -- our children will grow up. They cannot wait. Thanks for sharing your experience.

La Table De Nana said...

I am in the fortunate position of being a nana now..having lots of time..and saying yes..whenever I want..can:)

You are so smart to know this now..
I agree the conversation you had w/ your beautiful handsome son Mason..is well worth not doing anything else..
On the water too..and seeing spiders walk on water..

Megan said...

Oh is this post for me! Thank you for this! My daughter asks me all the time to play and I just push it off as long as I can. Such a good reminder to live in the moment! You never know how many more you have!

Megan

http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...