Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Shabby Shed { Chic Meets Country }

A shabby chic shed sits on a hillside...say that three times!  After a year, I finally added some color to this dark space!
 
The tomatoes and herbs are fresh from the garden.
We built the table, but to minimize the mess, I put my grandmother's cookie tray on top to catch the dirt.  This is easier than having to sweep all the time.
My 'roadside rescue', the red stool is from Charleston, SC.
I keep a small bucket of dirt on the table with large cans of mulch and dirt underneath.  The little enamel pot was from my grandmother's kitchen and is the perfect scoop!  The Reader's Digest 'Complete Book of the Garden' is old and belonged to my mom many years ago.
My bee suit hangs on the right.  My poor bees did not survive the winter.  I still have much to learn about raising bees!  My dad has about six successful hives, and I can't wait to start again!
My grandmother was an elementary grade school teacher.  The framed picture is one of her fourth grade classes during the early 1960's.  The picture depicts a couple of the children attending school without shoes.
I keep lots of my picnic baskets and containers in the shed.  These two vintage looking thermoses came from TJMaxx.
I bought this lovely vintage looking strawberry toile from the Warm Biscuit Bedding Co.  I used a staple gun to staple the fabric to the table and trimmed it with these vintage rulers.  They give the table a more finished look, but are also very practical for a quick measure!   
This pretty grey and cream buffalo check fabric was used to finish off this $4 camp stool and a lovely vintage blue and red apron hangs above it.
The fireplace mantel is from the early 1800's and belonged to my grandfather.  This shed holds my garden things, as well as, many of the things I use to decorate, family mementos and my children's art work.
I purchased the WWII cot from eBay for the tree house; however, I did not consider how long it would be in that small space!  It has been great in the shed for my youngest to rest, while I work.  The beautiful old prints/maps of Charleston and sketches were given by my aunt and uncle, when they moved.  The quilt on the cot is from TJMaxx. 
 
We don't have a garage, so my husband's shed is seen out this window.  He built mine, I am certain, to get all of my 'stuff' out of his space.  He is the 'neat' one.
I attached the chandelier, a gift from my sister, to a pulley system, so I can raise and lower it for candles.
   
My children's art work makes me happy.  I love the colors and think I couldn't pay good money for anything better!  I like it mixed in with the framed art. 
The white wicker chair was found at a second hand store.  I lost the straps to my bicycle basket, so I hung it on the wall to hold these dried hydrangeas.
I hung these vintage children's shovels on this piece of a picket fence that my neighbor was tossing.  The fence acts as a headboard for the cot and the corbels (from a salvage yard) at the bottom make the 'bed' look more like a bed!  My grandparent's old Hunter fan from the 1930's still works.  I don't have power out here, but in the summer I pull an extension cord from my husband's shed.
 
I printed 'Le Jardinier' on an old flour sack and found the bee images from the Graphic's Fairy.  For my French friends...did I spell this correctly?  I made the little pillow and filled it with lavender to make the whole space smell good!
Rob added lofts to both sides of the shed to store containers, baskets and other decorating items.  I made the bunting for my daughter's birthday party from some old dresses and from the strawberry toile. 
I won the vintage pewter coasters in blog land!  They are so cute!  The old crate lid on top of the mantel was found at a salvage yard in Charleston, SC.
My youngest daughter pretends to grow her own garden (IKEA.)  I keep play dough and kitchen tools out here to entertain her, so I can get some work done!  Plus, I am hoping to make her interested in vegetables.  Right now, she is a carb addict!
This vintage table cloth is so pretty (I snagged it from my partner at the booth!)  I found the plaid large can at Tuesday Morning.  It looks very 'British' country to me!
I have a little visitor.  He is not liking his fur coat in this 90 degree weather!  He slips down to the lake for a dip and then comes and finds a cozy spot to dry.
The outside of this shed needs lots of work!  I need some shade lovin' plants that will thrive under the overhang of trees.  The little path leads to my garden or to the lake below.
There is a little crack in the overhang of trees where my garden grows.  Next year, I may have to cut some limbs off the trees in order to have a garden!
The book, 'Shed Chic' has lots and lots of inspiration.  Sheds come in all sizes and are used for many purposes, such as offices, guest rooms, potting sheds, and places to relax or to create.  I would love to paint mine this beautiful blue, but when we built it, we thought it was best for it to blend in with the surroundings.  Maybe one day, I will paint the inside this pretty shade of blue!
Thanks for stopping by!

The winner of the European Ramsign enamel house sign is random.org number 22!  Cindy at the Most Awesome Cohort Ever is the winner!

Congratulations Cindy!  I will send you an e-mail with the details!

I am joining the CSI Project for their Red, White, or Blue Challenge!
Visit thecsiproject.com

and I am joining Courtney at French Country Cottage for the Blog Party!


Edited 7/18 to join Brag Monday at
The Graphics Fairy



I will link up to my favorite sites here!  As always, please check out these great sites for some wonderful inspiration!


Note: Thank you all so much for your kind comments each week. I really appreciate the time you take to stop by and to leave comments!  I so wish there was more time in the day to reply to each of you!  It is a real treat, when I am able to sit and spend time looking at all of your wonderful sites and inspiration!  I see familiar names each week and wanted you all to know how much I appreciate you!   

Thank you for the features!

Cedar Hill Ranch

happythumb_thumb[1]
 
Under the Table and Dreaming 

Pin It Now!

106 comments :

Gabi said...

...what a great blog you have !!!!!!!!!
Love
Gabi

beachcomber said...

the shed is fantastic! i'd live in it.
cheryl x

Unknown said...

Oh what an inspirational little place you have, I think I have shed envy! I have never thought about having a shed but yours is so cute I might have to rethink that idea!!

It's me said...

What a great garden house you have darling...i enjoy every picture today thanks a lot !!...love Ria....xxx...

Unknown said...

What a great shed, I wish it was in my back yard, It's the only thing missing. I did the same thing with a wooden pulley I got form Joy (Savvycityfammer) on my porch it makes it easy to light the candles....have a great weekend

Pattie

Lori said...

Lucky you and what eye candy. The little red metal stool catches my eye and the cot area, perfect. The bucket under the bed is a favorite too.

Mommy Minded said...

I would love to live in there! ;)

Megan
mommyminded.blogspot.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Christie, cute, cute, cute! Your stuff really belongs in a magazine spread. Someone will get smart sometime and come do a photo shoot. My grandmother taught first grade for thirty five years. Did you know I featured your link last week?

The Splendiferous Life said...

WOW...our shed looks NOTHING like this...it has a big wheel, mower, wood, some crickets, ants and dirt in it..oh how I love this..so peaceful...how do you stay cool during the summer?

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Ooooh I am jealous! What a wonderful space - for you and the kids!
-Trish

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful garden shed! I love how you have decorated it and think it's just sweet.

Martina said...

Such an adorable hideaway - such lovely details everywhere. You did a great job here - hpe you enjoy every minute in there! Have a lovely weekend!

Susan said...

Oh, what a wonderful space! You have the most wonderful, inspiring blog and I can't wait for every entry, I absorb, revisit and absorb some more!
Thanks for sharing such amazing spaces and ideas with us!
Susan

Comeca Jones said...

What a pretty little space!

birdie blue said...

love your darling garden shed, christie. all of your special, vintage touches really make it a wonderful place. would you believe, i picked up a vintage military cot on ebay, for our little playhouse, and was surprised how long it was, too. my girls use it for sleepovers and trips to grandma's house.

sent from my iPad, we're in colorado for another week.
xo
molly

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh Christie!!! Can I please just come live there? I think I could happily sleep on that little bed...as long as the bees stayed away. LOL! I don't think I knew that you raised them. You never cease to amaze me girl! Once again, I am blown away by your talent and creativity and think I need to come and visit just to watch you weave your magic...and have a lovely chat by the lake too of course! :-)
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

This post is such an inspiration to me. It is my dream to have a little gardening shed in my back yard some year. Thank you for showing this. I am thrilled to be your newest follower!

~Tanya
www.lisatakesix.blogspot.com

Cottage 1945 said...

So darling!!! You are so lucky to have such a great space.

Gail said...

I like all the pretties and your stories about family history on several items.
Best wishes on successful bees.

Elizabeth said...

This is soooooh beautiful. I like it sooo much.
Its just a fairytale.
Groeten vanuit Nederland.

Crystal said...

I'm a new follower, started at your b-day party and now your shed, great ideas, very creative, love it all

Holly said...

Ooohh...I am in love! I love everything about your shed...tooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and that shed is AWESOME..
Janet

Shirley said...

That is so cute. My shed definitely needs some windows!!!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Oh Christie, it is just adorable. I am getting lots of ideas from this little space. How adorable!! So glad to find your blog and will follow now if google allows, otherwises later.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

The dog tells it like it is! Looks like a great place to relax and hang out. I love it all!

Amanda said...

This has to be the prettiest shed I have ever seen! Looks like such a relaxing and inspiring space, you've done a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

this has got to be the most charming shed I have ever seen!!!!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

O MY!!
What a fantastic shed!! I LOVE how you have decorated it inside !!
What a great job you have done!!
And you are so very lucky to have a shed like this!!

Congrats!

Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Every time I think I see my favorite you show us something more! Among my favs are the bicycle on the shelf and the yardsticks used as table edging.

Abby said...

LOVE your shed! If I were you, I'd never want to leave there! Its so lovely!

Holly said...

LOVE it! It's so charming. I could see going out there for hours and hours.

Elaine said...

Awesome, so cute, such creativity, wish I had one just like it.

Diann said...

I love it! I love all the fantstic details you added to this adorable shed! thak you for joining TTF with this awesome post! have a fun weekend!

raggygirlvintage said...

what a fabulous shed! I love all the little quirky touches, what a fun place to hang out!
Tracey

The Prairie Homemaker said...

I love this! Now I want one too...
hugs
m

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

FINALLY, GFC is working and I can follow again. So I am your latest follower, and I am totally loving your blog and the shed!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam Kessler said...

That is one cool shed. I may have to get that book because my shed is actually being used as a typical shed with a mower, motorcycle engine parts and other really ugly and greasy stuff. I would love to chuck it all out the door and take it over for my space.

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

How cute is this??? Love every little detail :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

michele said...

This is SOOO inspiring! I showed the pictures to my husband and he said it was soooo me! Yes it is! One question I have is how do you heat/cool the space? And what are the dimensions of the shed/cottage? Thanks so much for sharing this!

Susan said...

How awesome is this shed!

Debra@CommonGround said...

What an amazing space! It has everything a garden fanatic would want. Love all your treasures! Thanks for linking up the inspiration at VIF! xo Debra

Heaven's Walk said...

Hey Christie! What an absolutely adorable shed! I love your style - so cozy and welcoming and sweet! I picked up alot of styling tips from just looking at your photos, and the biggest thing I learned was "layering" is what makes a space look cozy and interesting! :) I'm always afraid of my stuff looking cluttered, but you have mastered the art of making it look pretty! :)

xoxo laurie

Sarah said...

Christie, this looks adorable. It reminds me of my dad's tool shed that he cleaned out and let me use as a play house when I was a young child. Yours is much more polished. LOL ~ sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! I want to move in! Awesome job!!! Where did you find your super cute boots (adult and kid sized) and wooden boxes with "Thyme", etc on them?!?! I love everything you did!!!

Christie said...

Thank you all for your super sweet comments! To answer the above question...the adult boots are by Tretorn and my daughter's rainboots are by Vincent. Both from Zappos.com! The wooden boxes were a steal at Marshall's. I have seen them online at a few shops, as well. Good luck!

Shabby soul said...

So welcoming and comfy!
It seemed to me to be at home!
Have a nice day
Silvia

Honey at 2805 said...

What a pleasure it would be to work in such a cute shed!

Flo and Grace said...

Love your blog...your newest follower!

Sweet European Dreams said...

I want one! This is such a wonderful space. I have to say that I'm laughing that your husband built you this space...we need that option over here! Our 3 car garage only has space for 1 car, thanks to my "stuff" or as my husband says, "junk". How dare he...

Elsie said...

Love your blog, I will be back to visit. I love your shed inside and out. AWESOME!!!

reeree1949@bellsouth.net

SLR said...

the shed is just adorable...what a great little retreat! i love all the colors and vintage fun in there. i must get that book, "Shed Chic"!

Linda said...

I love your shed.....so inviting. I have a shed that is just sitting and waiting for me to do something with it. I thought of a chicken coop if we got chickens...a garden shed....a little retreat for the grandsons...just can't decide. My question is how do you keep wasp and other little critters out of your shed?
Thanks for sharing.....

Barn Owl Primitives said...

This is stunning and I cannot stop drooling! You've done an amazing job and I must get that book.

I've pinned this and am sharing on my facebook page!
www.facebook.com/barnowlprimitives

xo ~ kristi

Life With Lucy said...

This is SO unbelievably adorable! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

That is just sooooo sweet! I would be out there all the time! :)

~Liz

April said...

this is just plain fantastic! I love it! ~April @ Wildflowers & Whimsy

La-Dee-da crafter said...

I could look at this all day. This is so pretty, so stunning. I love the little shovels on the headboard. Can I come stay??? haha


ladeedacreations.com
following you now

chris zima said...

All i can say is looking at your handiwork makes me smile and makes my heart happy!! :)

Anonymous said...

I bet you are so enjoying your new little play area!!! you have done a fantastic job!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Christie!
I just thought I would pop back over to let you know that this post is being featured in this week's Thrifty Things Friday party (party is live now). I hope you are having a great day!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Gorgeous shed. I especially love the vintage shovels on the picket fence headboard. You and I are were both featured today on the Thrifty Groove. My husband spent 9 months building a treehouse for our girls and I filled it with vintage goodies. Your little get-away is just delightful.

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I've featured this post at Cedar Hill Ranch here
http://cedarhillranch.blogspot.com/2011/06/friday-feature-three-pixie-lane.html

Miss Kitty said...

Oh gosh! I love this blog post...I am here via Anita @ Cedar Hill's blog that featured you. Everything is just so charming.

Unknown said...

Oh, this is just too pretty, Christie! You must be so proud of that little space.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

What a wonderful place to work on your plants, rest a bit, read a bit, dream surrounded by memories.
- Joy

Unknown said...

Hello! I featured this here at Coffee and their Kisses. Please come by and grab a featured button that's located on my left hand side bar! Thanks again!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

I love the shed! So much cute things to explore! :)
Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
Hope to see you again this weekend!
xoxo,
Vanessa

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Christy, What a fabulous playhouse for a grownup. You have decorated the shed so adorable! Thanks for joining my party and have a great weekend.
xo,
Sherry

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

You have such a unique way of decorating. I LOVE this!! I shared one of your photos on my blog yesterday. :)

Crystal

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

What a fun little space! Love it that you put a cot in there. Hope you have many hours of enjoyment in your shed.

Unknown said...

Is there really anything cuter? (minus my sweet 7 week old baby) REALLY' this is totally absolutely adorable. I love this shabby shed, and all the darling details. PRECIOUS! Thanks for sharing it. I will be linking this on my C.O.M. FB page. winks-jen

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

That is so, so cute! we have a shed but it's very "manly", it's kind of a man cave. I doubt hubby would let me do anything like this! maybe I need my own shed..!

Jeannie said...

I am totally jealous over your shabby shed...it is the cutest little hide-out ever!!!

LrSchwtz said...

This is beautiful. What a fun place to spend time in. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

Bless by Tone said...

love it!

idesign said...

this makes me want a shed! lol which is something i never thought i'd say

Amy Kinser said...

I just had a wonderful time in your shed! It was so lovely. It was full of so many little details that had my heart pounding a little faster. I believe a shed like yours may just have to be the next thing I ask (or beg) for. I'm thinking my husband may like the fact that I could have a place for some of my EXTRA stuff. Not sure that he will go for it, but I must try.

Thanks again for the tour. Enjoy it out there!

Pamela said...

Too too cute!

Maggie Lamarre said...

oh my I luv luv your shed, I wish i didn't have to worry about the nasty snakes. I could do the same thing there.

Would luv for our readers to discover this.
please add it to our linking party here
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/06/beautiful-furniture-redo-pop-up-cards.html
Have a great week,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

AsylumTanya said...

What a charming place to work! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love it! It is so cute! I want a potting shed so bad and I would love to use recycled materials to build it. I am inspired by your work!

Benita

Holly Kennedy said...

I love everything about this space! I would love to just sit in the shed and take everything in! Great job!

Mindie Hilton said...

Wonderful all of it!

I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening through Mondays!
I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.
Hope to see you soon.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
come strut your stuff

Jenny@thelavendermagnolia said...

Gosh, you did a gorgeous job on that "shed". If I had such a place, I don't think my family would ever see me anymore! LOVE IT!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

What a darling little shed. I love this shed- it looks like something from a fairy tale.
from FJI party ...
Pat

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely love this Christie! What a charming ~charming shed you have!! I would love puttering around in there~ it's a perfect little mom cave :) Thanks for sharing it at the party this week! :)

Abbi said...

What a fun place to work! I love your shed and all the neat stuff you have in it. Thanks for the tour!

Amanda said...

So charming! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/a-tour-of-this-shabby-shed-makeover/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

annies home said...

how very cute I could hang out there for ever
shopannies@yahoo.com

Caroline (Piorra Maison) said...

I would just love to have a space like that. just lovely. Nice to have all your grandparents treasures surrounding you. Looks like a very serene space to unwind in. Thanks for sharing
Caroline

Caroline (Piorra Maison) said...

coming over from the blog party. I just fell in love with your blog. I am your newest follower.
Caroline

Jami said...

I just SWOON looking through your chic shed! It is completely and totally wonderful! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami

Christine said...

OMG, what a great space!!! I have a space that I could convert but right now I have a serious black widow problem, the spiders would love (love, love, love) a space like this and I would always have the willies..... That cot is so awesome and I also love that red stool.

EllenM said...

I love your "shed" some homes aren't as nice as this but I do have a question for you.

Do you have a problem with critters??

We have a similar out building and there's always evidence of critters coming and going (like walnuts stored for the winter, chewing on anything fabric that's in there...etc...etc).

Thanks.

EllenM
EllenM361@gmail.com

lifeatwalnuthill.blogspot.com

Moore Minutes said...

This is AWESOME! Wow, so many pretties. I've never seen a more beautiful shed, your little hideaway. <3

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Oh could you please rent this out to me for a week!
What a perfect little retreat taken straight from the pages of Country Living magazine's top ten garden sheds!
Love it.
Your newest follower,
Alison

dena said...

Your style fits me to a T , you have decorated your shed exactly wants is in my head ,and that i want to do to mine, But cant decide on the size , what size is the shed? It looks the perfect size to do what i want to do, the bed, a chair, work bench etc. Then i can get all my stuff out of the quest bed room. LOVE IT , so adorable.

Suzanne said...

OH, now I have shed envy! It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Christie! I am so in love with your blog! Thanks so much for sharing and for shopping at Bucketts today! Can't wait to see your next "project!"
Keri

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Hi, I ran across your blog on Eclectically Vintage
and had to pay you a visit. I love it and am now following you. I am a fellow South Carolinian. So nice to meet you.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Oh how I would love to have that shed ... we just don't have much of a yard here in the city!


Stopping by from Kelly's Eclectically Vintage feature ..

Linda

Heidi said...

AHHHHHHH dorable!!!!!!! When can I come over to play????? You've given me loads of inspiration for my shed. I just need to figure out how to keep out the bats & rats from the little barn I have to work with!
hearts & hugs, Heidi

kristie said...

I just adore your shed! Where did you get the doors? I need to replace the door on my garden shed and I really like that look!

Anonymous said...

It's very exiting to find your threepixielane.blogspot.com website. You sure can write and teach and inspire. Keep writing - I'll keep reading.

marjoycek said...

I love your shed!!! I would be out there all the time if it was mine. Your husband did a great job building it,and you decorated it beautifully.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...