Sunday, September 11, 2011

Memories, Projects and Finds

 I buy these bottled cokes for special occasions.  I can't help it.  Every day after school, my sisters and I would go to my granny's house to wait for our mom.  She had decided to go back to school, so we would spend many afternoons with our granny.  She always had a cold Coca-Cola in the bottom drawer of her refrigerator.  She would keep the bottles and return them to the grocer who gave her a few cents off each coke that she bought.  Oh, how I loved those afternoons at Granny's!
My friend has a lovely old fig tree in her yard.  She brought these figs over, and as I sliced them I couldn't help but think of those days at my Granny's house.  She had a large fig tree in her yard and made fresh fig newtons.  She was always making something from scratch!  When I picture my Granny, it is of running in her kitchen and finding some yummy snack and a cold cola waiting for us, while she stood in a haze of flour making fresh homemade biscuits. Oh, what fond memories!
 I wish I could cook like my granny, but unfortunately my passions lie elsewhere!  I am working on this dresser that belonged to my mother-in-law as a little girl.  Rob and I had it for years and passed it on to Rob's brother and SIL.  Our little niece has moved into a big girl room to make way for a new sibling, so I am refinishing this in an 'heirloom white' for her new room. I am almost finished!
 My dad says this was one of the first pieces of 'nice' furniture he and my mom purchased when they were first married.  It is a lovely Henredon secretary and as you can see, needs lots of repair.  It sat in a shed for 10 plus years before he gave it to me.  I love it and looking through the bottom drawer brought back fond memories of my mom.  I have worked on this thing for a year!  Since I am not a pro, I had to learn much about refinishing, wood veneer, painting, and replacing the hardware.  I am glad to say that it is almost finished, too!  I can't wait to show it to you! 
This lovely old butcher block was also my moms and sat in that same shed for years and years. 
My oldest daughter is a young DIYer and loves to help on my 'projects.'  I wish I could say this is almost done, but I think I may have ruined it by putting on a stain.  My small hand sander isn't doing the job, so I will be taking it to someone with a very large and powerful sander!
This was FREE.  I was in the right place at the right time.  I went to a little shop in Charlotte, NC where a lady had just purchased this French hutch with bottom china cabinet.  She didn't need the top part and told the lady at the store to 'give it away.'  Since I was the only other customer in the store, I offered to take it off her hands!  I ran home, got my trailer, found two guys on the street to load it and brought it home.  It has been in my husband's shed for about a year.  I am finally moving it to its destination in my dining room!
I would love to have some of the silver domes used in French restaurants, but they are difficult to find, and I believe they are very expensive.  I found this pewter dome at a consignment store and will display it on the hutch shown above in my dining room.  The bamboo table was also a recent find for a great price at the same consignment store.  I am fond of the bamboo, because it is sturdy but light weight and easy to move around.

I have been busy with these projects and can't wait to finish them!

I am joining


for Metamorphosis Monday!

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It Now!

9 comments :

cherished bliss said...

Wow..can't wait to see how that dresser turns out! and I LOVE figs so much! I would so plant one in my backyard...but unfortunately my mom got all the gardening abilities!

Unknown said...

some great finds and some great projects too, look forward to seeing them finished!

Mel's Designs from the Cabin said...

a butcher block table is a great find...you have a nice helper too...that's makes your projects more interesting to have a pal to talk to while you work on your new finds...we can't wait to see how your pieces turn out...Mel

Lori said...

Funny what we remember. We would get to spend the night at my grand-mother's and she would put out TV trays after we were in our PJs and then she would serve us saltine crackers with butter and coke. Weird I know but we thought it was just the greatest thing ever. You have some great memories and treasures.

At The Picket Fence said...

So many wonderful memories and beautiful treasures you have Christie! You have been quite the busy bee and I love that your daughter is following in her mama's footsteps. :-) Can't wait to see your pieces when they are done!
Vanessa

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I used to have a butcher block like you have. We moved and left it in the house. Wish I had it now!
You have a lot of projects underway and I cannot wait to see them finished.

Rosie Goins said...

Can't wait to see the secretary when it is finished.

I am a new follower. Come visit me at http://rgoins.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love the silver dome and you certainly have a lot of work ahead of you..But all will be worth it when your treasures are placed throughout your home..I love the story about your Grandmother..So sweet..
Janet

Kathleen said...

I will be anxious to see how it comes out.
When I looked at your dome I thought of the old kitchen chandy from the cottage I just donated ! Even if I had painted it black for Halloween. I am a dummy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...