Monday, May 16, 2011

An Americana Summer

With Memorial Day and July 4th just around the corner and with a trip to Washington, DC still fresh in my mind, I am feeling very patriotic!
A mix of stripes and floral prints make for a festive, yet relaxing spot!  I made the stripped pillow from some vintage ticking found at an antique mart.
I have had the quilt, purchased at a Ralph Lauren Outlet for years.  The red metal stool is a recent roadside recycle!  I found it in a trash pile in Charleston, SC.  Of course, I checked with the owner before toting it off! 
South Carolinians are very proud of their palmetto tree and moon!  This 'moon' has gotten rather rusty over the years!  The shutters are to add some privacy from the beach access path beside the house.
The linen floral pillow is a recent find from Homegoods.  It is also by Ralph Lauren...a favorite of mine!  His linens and textiles are so timeless and beautiful!  I particularly love them, when I find a deal!
A porch swing and an outdoor shower are two of my favorite summertime things!

Are you ready for summer?

Edit:  One of my visitors contacted me about 'flag etiquette.'  I was unaware that I had improperly displayed this!  I had just purchased this linen flag at a thrift store and draped it across the swing for the purpose of the photo.  We had removed it before sitting on the swing.  I am grateful for the correction, so that I can teach my children how to properly display a flag!  If you would like to learn more about 'flag etiquette' click here!  Thank you Judy!

I am joining the CSI Project for the Red, White or Blue Challenge!
Visit thecsiproject.com
I am linking to 'Home May'd Outdoor Spaces' with Centsational Girl and to Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special!

I will be posting soon about our strawberry pickin' at Boone Hall Plantation (remember the row of oak trees from 'Gone with the Wind!')

This was an eventful weekend!  We blew a tire on the horse trailer that we were pulling, which is scary on the interstate with three children.  We finally arrived at our destination around 10 pm to find renters still in the house (a miscommunication!), so after searching for a hotel during one of the busiest times for weddings in the Charleston area, we finally found a room on Daniel Island and tucked our children in to bed at midnight! 
The next day, after much work and some strawberry pickin', we set up a comfy place to sit and listen to the ocean!  Our family learned many lessons about patience and dealing with conflict; as well as, how to be resourceful! 

Pin It Now!

21 comments :

Cindy said...

I absolutely love Boone Hall Plantation! We visited there on our honeymoon. Thanks for bringing back a great memory!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your porch and swing and all the cute decor. How nice to live so close to the beach! Enjoy. Pamela

At The Picket Fence said...

Oh I want to come sit on your porch swing! Actually, I have one as well..and I guess I have never thought to do fun things like this with it. I think I'm going to have to put some blankets and new pillows out on it! You have inspired me! I'm sorry about the mix-up with the lodging on your trip. Sounds like you made the best of it though. Have a great week Christie!

Heather

COTTAG3 said...

Oh my goodness. I love this patriotic look. I love using flags in my home but never thought to drape one over the back of swing or loveseat. This is such a great idea. I'm hoping to get new porch furniture and if it comes before Memorial Day or 4th of July, I'll be draping a flag over it. Love it.

Fork said...

I love the fabric combo! So pretty!

SLR said...

i'm ready for spring (in illinois) if it would ever get here for us!
love the porch swing and all the fun pillows with the flag! Homegoods has had some great RL pillows lately i've noticed.
:)

Lori said...

Oh my gosh, the white floral pillow is perfect and looks so soft. Homegoods this season, would it still be there.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Christie I just love the patriotic look you have on your porch. The flag and pillows look so pretty on your swing. I just bought new Ralph Lauren pillows from HG for my master bedroom, I love them! Have a great week, Martina

Christie said...

Lori, yes it was Homegoods this season! The home part of the RL outlets closed in most shops, so I think Homegoods got most of the stuff! So glad we can still find it at a reduced price!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Quilts, a porch swing, blue ticking stripes, the flag... American Summer indeed!!! LOVE!

Deborah Raymond said...

Oooo, I just love it! I wish I had a porch swing. Actually I just wish I had a porch to put a porch swing on. Since I don't, you just may find me one day daydreaming out on yours. If you would be kind enough, could you please bring me a glass of raspberry lemonade while I'm out there, and maybe some cookies?

Megan said...

so pretty and relaxing looking! Tjmaxx/homegoods/marshalls has some really great Ralph stuff lately. I just bought the prettiest pillows there last week.

Meg

Jules said...

I love your flag on your swing!

Comeca Jones said...

Looks like a better homes ad very nice!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Wow, I love the flag on your porch swing. What a lovely patriotic and colorful touch.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

What a great little stool (awesome freebie). The flag looks great on the swing, and the moon above adds a little whimsy.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a lovely porch swing Christie~ I love the flag on it- such a great touch of American! :)

Marsha said...

Oh,I love your Americana ideas. I love your flag on the swing....I have been feeling very patriotic, too. I made a flag banner for my outdoor fireplace for Memorial Day (posted pictures on my blog) and my Uncle Sam, who is usually at one of our doors, made it to the back porch.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOVE! Who wouldn't want a fabulous porch swing like yours? And I just LOVE the flag!

Donna

All That Glitters said...

I love red, white, and blue on a porch! Love your crescent too!

Hardin County Keepsakes said...

I love Americana and enjoyed seeing your porch. I use Americana through out our home all year but always respect the flag,and only use it the way it is meant to be used
Please read the flag etiquette for flag display and treatment.
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
I am doing my best to educate people about how to display our flag. Displaying the flag is just something people do not know about.I was a scout leader for years.It is something the scouts learned early but not all young people have learned the proper way to display the flag.
judy j

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...