Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sugar Plums and Gum Drops for Christmas

When I was growing up, my Aunt Jane Ellen always had a little display for the holidays on her counter top!  I use the clear glass jars and add in a few decorative ones for the holiday.  My secret tip:  I reuse the candy gum balls and large lollipops each season!  Ssshhhhhh....my kids think they are poisonous, because I use the same ones as decorations year after year!  Store them in a zip lock bag and store in a cool, dry place!  The candy canes and mints are for grabs, as well as the cookies and chocolates.  With little kids, this adds some whimsy to the kitchen!

The little sign above the jars was made from an unfinished chalk board purchased at Michael's.  I painted it, wrote in paint the 'days 'til Christmas' and hung it from a ribbon.  My kids love the count down and climbing on the counter to change the number and to sneak a goody!
I made the snowman jar from an ornament and a jar from Hobby Lobby.  Goop or hot glue will adhere.  The bottom of your ornament should be flat.
Old-fashioned candy can be found at World Market and at Cracker Barrel.  TJMaxx carries some, too! 

Merry Christmas!

Pin It Now!

24 comments :

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*~*Love your candy display Christie!Just darling and so magical!!lol..love the fact the little pixies think the gumdrops are poisonous!! ;)~*~*Hugs, Rachel~**~

*French Farmhouse 425*

Amanda said...

love the jars with the fun whimsy on top.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

How SWEET!!! I LOVE that display! and the jars are darling... Thank you for sharing... Hugs, Donna

Sarah said...

It all looks festive! Love getting a peek into your home at Christmas time.
Merry, Merry! ~ Sarah

Unknown said...

So very fun and I love those candy jars :)

Merry CHRISTmas!
Gail

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Looks great and how fun is a count down and sneaking a little treat at the same time!

Amy Kinser said...

It all looks wonderful! So fun and festive!

Sharon Haynie said...

Thanks for sharing such great ideas. I saw your Halloween post about the jars and I've "borrowed" them for a cute holiday display. And yes-Cracker Barrel has great old-fashioned candy!!!

Kathy said...

Beautiful post, coming from Kims and glad I did! Merry Christmas

Tardevil said...

Looked back through your Christmas posts and all of your decor looks great! Love the elves shoes/hats. Was wondering if you mind sharing where you found the Santa name tags, and if you made them how? My e-mail is tardevil@earthlink.net. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Allison said...

So whimsical...I love it! I also love your fun teapot. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Jacqueline said...

I said to my husband, what if we were actually done and we didn't go out again! Now I want to go out again and make some cute containers.

We always have candy on the counter but never in such fun containers. I don't know if I could get away with keeping them from year to year without gluing lids shut though! I want to go to World Market and Cracker Barrel too - naughty, naughty!!

Becca Bertotti said...

Your candy jars are so FUN !! And, your chalkboard counting down until Santa's arrival is just too cute!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Christie, you always have the cutest displays. Loving all the cheery Christmas colors and that cute sign.

Anonymous said...

What Fun! smiles....

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

You have such a knack for these things. I love your display, and the days until Christmas sign is adorable!

The Martys said...

I am new to posting on your blog. I just love how you display everything. You have quite the knack and you also have some wonderful pieces. Love the candy idea. I may have to try that next year. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Amy

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

So cute! I love all the whimsy!

Debbie said...

Fun, fun, fun! Every time I visit this blog, I leave smiling. Every single time.

Vernice said...

Very festive. Love the candy in jars. Merry Christmas

Donnie said...

What a beautiful candy display you have made. I would be sneaking pieces all day...lol... Have a Merry Christmas.

Faith said...

Please, do tell where you found white candy canes. We have been looking everywhere (or what feels like everywhere). I have a daughter who is allergic to red food dye. I'd love to know your source.

Alycia Nichols said...

What a wonderful display for the holidays! I hope that you and your family enjoy the Christmas holiday!

Entertaining Women said...

Completely charming! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Happy New Year! Cherry Kay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...