Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Want to Buy These Shoes...

Do not covet the silver and gold on them, and do not take it for yourselves, or you will be ensnared by it, for it is detestable to the LORD your God. ~Deuteronomy 7:25
Spectator shoes...red pumps...French shoes with a pretty bow...boots...ahh...shoes....aren't they lovely?

A few years ago, when my son was maybe three or four, we were driving in the car when this lovely song, "Christmas Shoes" came on the radio.  I cannot listen to this song without tears streaming down my face.  My son, with his thumb in his mouth, looked very contemplative, as if he, too were intently listening to these words:

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight
Maybe I cry because the story is so sad; maybe it's because it is so touching; maybe it's because my own mother passed away years ago...maybe, the Holy Spirit is convicting me...
After the song was over, my son took his thumb out of his mouth and said very quietly,
"Mom."
Of course, with my face dripping, I am thinking he feels sorry for me and that he is going to tell me if I were dying he would buy me a pair of shoes.  Nope.
He says, "Mom, I'm not going to buy you any shoes for Christmas."
"You have too many."
Four years old.

The end of the song goes like this:

I knew I'd caught a glimpse of heaven's love
As he thanked me and ran out
I knew that God had sent that little boy
To remind me just what Christmas is all about.

As if I had any more tears to cry, I cried harder.  He was right and God used my little boy to teach me a very valuable lesson.  I used to save all my money to buy very expensive shoes!  I would see a pair and just have to have them!  I would not rest until I got them...covetousness and unawareness to the fullest!  That morning, my heart hurt over the money I had spent on such extravagant shoes.  It hurt over the covetousness in my heart.  It hurt, because there are people without a single pair of shoes.
A year and a half ago, I broke my foot.  Talk about unawareness...I walked on this foot for over a year in pain, but unaware that it was broken.  I went to the doctor and was treated for what we all thought was a tendon problem.  Eventually, I couldn't take the agony any longer, so had an x-ray taken of my foot.  The doctor told me that I had broken my foot and it was mush...that I would never wear those lovely heels again.  What?  My lovely shoes?  All those high heels? 
I wore a cast for 12 weeks and vowed not to complain a bit! 
I packed up all those pretty shoes in a laundry basket and gave them away.
God does use small children to teach us, if only we will listen.  He also uses our hardships to teach us many truths.  As miserable as that year was, (and yes, I felt like an idiot for not getting that x-ray sooner!) I learned so many invaluable lessons and found some freedom along the way!


I am linking to Spiritual Sundays!
Pin It Now!

13 comments :

Whidbey Woman said...

Amen. " ...for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these" and "a little child shall lead them." I pray that we can all approach Christmas like a little child.

Pamela Gordon said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful song and story today. A good lesson for us all :-)
Blessings,
Pamela

Design Love said...

Beautifully said!

Cindy
xo

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Yes, it is very hard to keep covetedness in check. My husband has always said that is why God never seems to give us more then we really need. Everytime we get a lump of extra money, an unexpected expensive arrives. We think He (God) is watching over us. I would wager he was watching over you too with the whole shoe issue. I know the song you speak of well, it is quite touching. This was such a wonderfully compassionate post.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

This is a beautiful story!!! I also cry when hearing this song...It's so wonderful when we finally "get it"...thanks to a little help from those we love!!!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh this is so well received right now..Thank you.
Happy Holidays~

Donnie said...

That was a great post Christie. Though you learned a hard lesson your son learned an easy one. I tore a tendon on my left foot 3-4 years ago and it is still painful at times and miss pretty shoes but I know someone who loves them too is very happy. Have a blessed Sunday.

Erin said...

Right on Christie! Pretty sure they made a Christmas movie(starring Rob Lowe?) based on that song. So long pretty shoes, hello freedom ;)

Carol Bennett said...

Christie, great story, may we all remember those less fortunate this Christmas season.Remember what the season is all about and WHOM its all about!!
Carol in GA

Maria Babin said...

thanks for sharing! a truly inspirational experience!

Phyllis said...

Hello!

I just discovered your blog and have bookmarked it for future visits.

Your mantel is beautiful and just the way I love to decorate - with nature!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a great post Christie~ thank you so much for sharing this.

Charlotte said...

Thank you for sharing this story of a lesson learned the hard way. We all have much to learn and children can teach us many lessons.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...