Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Noel Garland for a Swedish Room

 Today, I am sharing with you a Noel Garland that I made for the foot of the bed.
I have a drawer full of my children's socks without a match...
I gathered some white socks, red socks and some red knitted socks that Grandma made for the children.
Using Rit dye in 'scarlet,' I died the white socks to a shade of red that matched the other socks.  After washing and drying these, I decorated the socks with different ribbon, baker's twine, rick rack, different buttons and bells.
The garland is hung from red velvet ribbon and small toys are tucked in for display.
I added felt balls to this red sock and some pretty trim.  The outfit of this vintage toy fits right in with my 'red and white' theme.
This dyed sock displays some gingham ribbon and a bell.  Checks are commonly used in Swedish country design.
Grandma has knitted many socks through the years for my children.  Fortunately, I found a few red and a few in different sizes to use for the garland!  The little felt Santa is so cute!
I am crazy about felt...we are working on a felt garland for our tree!  This little sock fits in nicely.
Some Swedish clogs and a Dala horse flank the sides of the garland.  The Dala horse is a common toy for children, but today, is a symbol for Sweden.  They are usually painted red.  I found this rocking horse at a flea market and decorated it with some more gingham ribbon.
A little Danish elf is tucked in this hand knitted sock.
Another lost sock gets some dye and decorations.
I have seen some great mitten/sock advent garlands.  If you have twenty-four socks, you could make an advent garland!
Little heart buttons were used on this sock.  Hearts are definitely a part of Swedish decor! 

 
My daughter's room is decorated for the holidays to welcome overnight guest.  We remodeled her room two years ago in a 'Swedish' theme, so I decided to keep with the theme and use Christmas decorations that would be common in a Swedish home! 

To see the rest of the room, click here!

I am linking this craft project to Censational Girl's Holiday Home Party and to these weekly parties!

I am also joining the Handmade Holiday Challenge!
Visit thecsiproject.com


 
Thank you Amanda for the feature!

CraftGossip





Pin It Now!

29 comments :

Alison Agnew said...

So sweet! I love this idea and my dryer certainly does it's share of sock displacement, so I should have a bounty of mismatches.

Thanks!

Papgena Made It said...

it's lovely!
So simple and yet so effective!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

That is so cute and what a wonderful way to use those 'lost' socks!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Oh My!!! That garland is the sweetest! I am definitely going to copy your idea. :)
I also went and check out the other pictures of your Swedish room. It is so Gorgeous, Cozy, Creative, Pretty, Snuggly, Lovely and Absolutely Inviting!!! YOU are very talented. :)

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Oh now this is just adorable. So creative and simple and makes such a statement. Love it.

Kyra @ RACKS and Mooby said...

Such a cute idea! Love using the single socks!

Anonymous said...

I cannot think of anything cuter than this. This is magical, and I love it! Please share this project with the Boardwalk Bragfest today. Others would love it too! This is marvelous!

The Inspired Nest said...

That is so sweet and I can't quit looking at it! I am in love with this idea!
Lacy

Anne said...

This is so unbelievably adorable! My whole house has a little bit of a Swedish theme since most of my furniture's from Ikea :) So maybe I'll have to try this!

Wendy said...

i absolutely love this idea - thanks for sharing!!!!!

Angie Holden said...

This is so cute!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Inspired by you said...

I love this. It makes me want to get a footboard for my bed!

Margitta said...

So sweet! I'd like to see more of your swedish room. It looks so beautiful!

R. Long Pyper said...

Totally darling idea!

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet. Thank you for following up on my invitation and linking to the Boardwalk Bragfest. It is such a remarkable "bragable"!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I SO love the look of this!! SO sweet and charming...

Lisa said...

Too cute! This is absolutely adorable! And a great way to make use out of those random socks : )

the old white house said...

this is just adorable! Theresa xoxo

Krista@RustikChic said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is so precious!! I love it:)

Queen Mommy said...

Popping over from the CG site. This is SO CUTE! I absolutely love it!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

What a great way to upcycle! I love this. It's such a cute way to also bring a little Christmas in the room.

Kristen said...

This is so cute. I love your Swedish room. My dad just brought me back a Dala horse from a recent trip to Sweden. It's the Provence my mom's family is from.

Jana said...

What a cute idea!

Come enter to win a free pair of sandals!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/sseko-giveaway.html

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Super cute!

Kat's Purrfect Boutique said...

I love your sock idea. I want to buy little kid socks to just make one (with hearts and checks of course). What part of your family is Swedish? Or am I assuming that? Both my parents are from Sweden and came here in their early 20's. They are 80 and 82 now and still have a strong accent. I was born and raised (and still live) in the greater Los Angeles, CA area.

Carey said...

This is just the sweetest idea. I love it.
Happy Holidays,
Carey

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

I just came across your blog recently, and I love it! I'm your newest follower!

Wendy said...

This is brilliant! Unfortunately my husband's stray socks swould be too big, or too grey!! I'm off to find some children to steal socks from!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christie, I've been scrolling through your blog and seeing posts I've missed. As always, I love what I've seen on your blog, and I love what I've read on your blog. You have so many talents, and your children are beautiful. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas. laurie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...