Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Cabin in the Woods...Christmas Ideas

Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village, though; He will not see me stopping here to watch his woods fill up with snow...The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
~ Robert Frost
My son and I built this little 'cabin in the woods' for Christmas '09.  He loves to build, so this was a great project to do with him.  We purchased a kit and donated the candy to his class for an art project.  The 'stone' on the house and chimney is cinnamon and sugar covered pecans from Target.  We used a bag of fake snow and sprinkled baby food (remember the flaky rice cereal?  It works great as snow) with some fine glitter everywhere.  The snow man is made of icing with extra sugar.  The 'nose' is the end of a toothpick painted orange.  The 'eyes' are little chocolate sprinkles.  The pretzel 'gate' leads up a Triscuit 'cobblestone path (not pictured, but pieces broken and laid in a herringbone pattern) to a graham cracker 'door.'  The 'shingles' on the roof are Life cereal.  The 'tree' candle is from Pier 1.  The 'wreath' is real evergreen wrapped with some wire.  
We built the gingerbread house on a tray, so we could move it around easily for different vignettes. 
~
 Enjoy planning for your Christmas! 

Please join me at



Pin It Now!

12 comments :

Amy Kinser said...

What a great cabin. You and your son did a marvelous job.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to spend a Christmas in a place like this?

Love Being A Nonny said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Oh my word what a great blog! Your pictures, your children...everything is gorgeous! I am in the process of reading all your posts but so far I have not seen the recipe for your lime tarts. Will you share? I am a NC blogger. Not sure where you are from but Southport is one of our favorite little places to visit too!!!!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

So Cute! What a fun project to do with a son who like to build. No danger of pounding nails or using saws. :) And, tasty too!

Happy Friday Pretties!
Joyce

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love it. I'd love to be snowed in for Christmas (with food, drink and family, of course) in a little cabin like that. Makes me feel excited for Christmas!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is just the cutest thing ever. How creative you are. I love baby food rice cereal actually. I don't eat it any more, but I did many years ago with sugar and milk. Too fattening though.

gina said...

Just found your blog and love it! I'm your newest follower. This is so cute. Can't wait to show it to my daughter.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Goodness... this is adorable! I'll never view a simple gingerbread house the same ever again. I'll be thinking.. where's the stone and snow?!? :) LOVE it!

Donna

Amanda said...

That is so awesome! I thought they were real stones, very cool :) I'll pass this on to the edible crafts editor at CG :)

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Love this cabin! It looks so realistic! Glad you liked the pretzel cabin we made! What a fun tradition!

CountryGirl said...

I love this cabin to make, but what is the body of it made with?

CountryGirl said...

I would Love to amke this cabin, but what is the body of it made with???

Christie said...

Country Girl, the body of the ginger bread house is a store bought pre-assembled house! Christie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...