Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Gift for the Gardener


My dear friend Jen has grown the most beautiful garden! For her birthday, I gave her some cookbooks to make some yummy recipes with her vegetables! She is a terrific cook! This Southern Living Farmers Market Cookbook has great recipes and beautiful pictures.

I attached a little saying to the hoe and cookbook copied on brown stock paper:
Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest. ~Douglas William Jerrold

To the other book, I tied some garden gloves with the ribbon and attached a quote on friendship:
But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859

The letter 'G' for her last name initial was made from a simple wooden letter with moss attached via a glue gun. I wrapped the gifts in burlap, so that she could reuse the 'wrapping paper.'  The flowers from my yard added the color that was needed! 

I am linking to




Pin It Now!

5 comments :

Lesslie said...

As I've said in the past, you give the best, most thoughtful gifts. I'm confident Jennifer loved this gift because I know I would have jumped for joy! This is one of my favorite things about YOU.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What great presentations with those gifts. I just love your photos.

a quiet life said...

you are an artist~

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello my friend...

Wow...what lovely gifts! I'm sure that your sweet friend Jen just adored these gifts! You wrapped each cookbook so beautifully...love how you used the gloves and little gardening hoe! Ohhh...and the hydrangeas are gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely post with us today for Sunday Favorites! You certainly shared some lovely and creative ways to wrap a gift...as well as some lovely sayings!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful gift. Anyone would love this gift...gardener or not. Thank you for sharing this inspirational post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...