Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fear Not, Little Flock- 21 Verses to Provide Comfort to Your Children

My youngest daughter is six years old. Unlike my oldest child, Brooke has rarely had nightmares. Recently, she is afraid when she goes to bed. I have to look around the room for monsters and assure her that it is all clear. She has been sleeping with her big sister for additional comfort.
My oldest daughter had to stumble along with us, as we learned to be parents.  She was often afraid at night, and we didn't always know what to do.  One thing I have learned along the way, is to teach my children to depend on the Lord and His unfailing promises to them.  Of course, a hug, checking under the bed and curling up with another provides comfort, but there is a bigger picture here.  Mom and dad will not always be around to give comfort, shelter or protection.  As my children go through life, I want them to first, seek Him and trust that His Word is flawless.  "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.  He is a shield for all who take refuge in him." (Psalm 18:30)
 
We will certainly be here to give lots of hugs and comfort, but more importantly, this will teach her to seek the Lord and His truth, as she walks the path of life which our Creator has set before her.  Rob and I will fail her, but the Lord never will.  The verse that sits smack dab in the middle of the Bible says, "It is better to take refuge in the Lord, than to trust in man." (Psalm 118:8)
 
When she is at school and someone calls her an ugly name; when she grows and is presented with peer pressure; when she deals with the difficulties of adolescence; when she goes to college and can't find her way; I pray she will remember to run to the cross- a cross where she found solace from long ago as a young child when fear engulfed her.  I pray she will dig deep in His word.  "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid..."  (Psalm 56:3-4)
 
 
 
Here are some verses to memorize or share with your children at night:
 
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. ~Psalm 4:8
 
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. ~Proverbs 3:24
 
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  ~Psalm 91:1

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. ~2 Timothy 1:7
 
Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  ~Deuteronomy 31:6
 
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  ~Psalm 28:7
 
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  ~Isaiah 41:10
 
 And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”  ~Exodus 33:14
 
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.  ~Luke 12:32
 
Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.  ~Psalm 55:22
 
 I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. ~Psalm 16:8
 
You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.  ~Psalm 18:28 
(This verse is just a sweet reminder of Who turns our darkness into light; who is the One that set the sun and the moon in place and Who faithfully brings the morning sun every single day!)
 
On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. ~Psalm 63:6
 
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. ~Psalm 62:5
 
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.  You will not fear the terror of the the night...  ~Psalm 91:4-5
 
Even in darkness light dawns for the upright...  ~Psalm 112:4
 
O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  ~Psalm 139:1-3
 
The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.  ~Psalm 145:9

As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him ~Psalm 18:30

It is better to take refuge in the Lord, than to trust in man.  ~Psalm 118:8

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid...   ~Psalm 56:3-4
 
I found the moon and stars from clip art, added the verses and printed.  When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?  (Psalm 8:3-4 )  Look at the moon and stars with verses, remind your child of God's promises and reflect on all the wonderful things God has created and the beauty of His mighty hand.  This is the best way to redirect your child's thoughts and fears.  Surely, your child will drift off into a sweet sleep of peace and safety; knowing that he or she is held in the palm of His hand.
 
 
Blessings to you on this 'Life Lessons' Sunday!
Pin It Now!

4 comments :

Maureen Wyatt said...

Such lovely thoughts!~Maureen

Christie Jones Ray said...

Thank you for sharing this, dear Christie....our grandson suffers terribly with nightmares and anxiety at bedtime. I will make a copy of these scriptures for our daughter and one for us as well. Xavier is 5 and has started kindergarten. I know this will help reassure him.
Thank you again for posting,
Christie

Anonymous said...

I will give this to my daughter for my grandson..Thank You for the wonderful post..

Karen Byrd said...

How timely your post was for me. My daughter is 7 years old and has never had trouble with darkness or nightmares, but recently has become very fearful at night. I haven't known how to help, other than my prayers for her, but I will teach her these scriptures and know they will help her well beyond this season she is in at the moment. Thank you for this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...