Thursday, December 1, 2011

A French Country Hutch (No Paint Makeover)

I got this French hutch for free...
(Let's all just assume I'm going for the wrinkled look!)

Over Thanksgiving break, I finally made this ruffled linen skirt for the base. 
The grid iron work is so pretty!
Green is my favorite color!
I placed this child's highchair in front of the hutch to break up the mass amount of linen that was required to cover the bottom of the hutch.  I made the little linen pillow from leftover fabric, printed one of my favorite Christmas pictures onto it, trimmed it with some brown and white ribbon and filled it with Balsam fir scented potpourri.
Rob cut a piece of wood to go on top of my old hutch base.  The French hutch was about 4 inches too long.  My sweet friend Tonya gave me sewing lessons one day and helped me figure out a plan to cover the base.
Straight panels were the plan with a possible monogram on the middle panel.  My lack of expertise at sewing caused me to go with plan B...a ruffled skirt!  It is way more forgiving with crooked lines!  I cut the fabric in panels so that I could easily gain access to the cabinets.
This dining room set was the first pieces of furniture we bought when we first married some twenty years ago.  In the craftsman style, it was made by an Amish man in Pennsylvania.  His woodwork is divine, but the style no longer fits with the rest of our house.  Instead of having to buy more furniture to accommodate the freebie, we decided to use the base and cover it.  I plan to cover the dining table with a pretty cloth and change out the chairs with others from around the house to go with the new look. 

So here is the deal:  I went shopping to a small antique/consignment store in Charlotte, NC.  I happen to be in the right place at the right time!  A lady purchased the hutch and base, but didn't need the top hutch.  She told the owner of the shop to 'give it away.'  I said I would take it and ran home, hooked up my trailer and paid two men $10 to load it!  FREE...well, except for the ten bucks!
The linen fabric came from IKEA for less than $4 a yard.
Thanks so much for stopping by!


Links:

Making the World Cuter 12 Days of Holiday DIY
The DIY Club
Friday: Miss Mustard Seed; At the Picket Fence; Fingerprints on the Fridge; The Shabby Nest; French Country Cottage; Fridays Unfold; The Nester's Favorite Things; SaturdayFunky Junk SNS; Tatertots and Jello Monday: Metamorphosis Monday; Just Something I Whipped Up Monday; Craft-O-Maniac Monday; Making Monday Marvelous; Making the World Cuter Monday; Motivate Me Monday; Your So Very Creative; Make It For Monday; Polly Want a Crafter; DIY Project Parade; Craft Catwalk; Sassy Sites Wednesday: Wow Us Wednesday; Creative Side; Show and Tell Wednesday; Make it Yours Day; Whatever Goes Wednesday; Transformations & Treasures; Lil Luna Link Party; Restored It Wednesday; Primitive and Proper  Thursday: Show Off Your Stuff Thursday; Transformation Thursday Crafty Soiree;  Strut Your Stuff Thursday House of Hepworths; Friday: Show and Share Day; Show and Tell Friday; Frugalicious Friday; Sundae Scoop; Sunday Showcase
Pin It Now!

34 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! This piece looks so beautiful! What a great job you've done on it. Love it all dressed up for Christmas. Your green tray flanked by the reindeer is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Noble Vintage said...

gorgeous!!! beautful idea. It looks like something in a home decor boutique. You are one lucky lady!!

At The Picket Fence said...

Christie that is just a genius idea!! Having the bottom skirted like that gives it such a relaxed yet elegant flair and I cannot believe what a deal you got on the hutch. Score! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Lori said...

You lucky girl! How gorgeous it that. And the extra secret storage!

WhyCuzICan said...

Nice job at jazzing up the hutch and love the smashing green pieces too.

Your banner says it all.... JOY!

Thanks for sharing :D
Visiting from MMS linky party,
~Suzanne in NW Illinois at WHYCUZICAN

Anonymous said...

I would of never thought of doing that..It came out so nice and what a steal..I really like the deer platter on the top shelf..Great job..

Kelly said...

I am VERY impressed! I don't know how to sew with a sewing machine, so to me it looks great. It's better than anything I could make. ha! I can't believe the transformation by adding that skirt. The hutch is so nice too. I love those glass doors with the criss cross design. I like how you decorated it for Christmas too.

Tam said...

This looks lovely - great job... such a clever idea!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

This looks so pretty Christie. I love the french look that you have created and also the way you have decorated the inside of the hutch. Love the skirt idea too.

hugs
Sissie

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wow! Love the gathered skirt and I can't wait to see the whole picture of the room! The grid iron in the doors makes everything just pop!

Pamela said...

Looks amazing! I dream of finding a hutch!

Beth @A Little Country House said...

I love what you did! thinking outside the box! looks great!

Ruth said...

What a great find. I love the skirt idea. It looks terrific.

Ruth

Leslie's Garden said...

Wow, what a fabulous deal! And you now have something grand and beautiful. You did a great job on the skirt. I know how long and boring it is to sew and gather that much fabric!

nsolady said...

Would love to know where you got that driftwood tree, or did you make it???? It is wonderful.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

This looks amazing! You did a great job. LOVE the skirt..so pretty. I also like the idea of the pillow and the way you filled it. You are CRAFTY girl!

Bohemian said...

What a gorgeous Transformation... and the fact you got it for free has to feel amazing now that it has turned out so fabulously... Love the Skirt you made!

Christmas Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Christie said...

nsolady, I purchased the driftwood tree last year after Christmas when it went on sale! Someone said that they are available at Ballard Design's. Good luck!

Melanie said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!! You have a beautiful blog! So nice to 'meet' you today! I'm your newest follower :)

Lara Harris said...

This is lovely!

xinex said...

It's beautiful! How nice that you got it for free...Christine

Vintage Home said...

Oh you smarty pants...ingenious! That looks great ...I am bookmarking this for future reference! Thanks for sharing!

17-17 said...

Awesome! I love this decor!

Jessie K said...

That is sooooo gorgeous! I love how it breaks up the hutch and gives it a more shabby chic feel!

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

You sure got lucky on this one, free? Wow, it's so pretty, love the skirt, I think you did a great job! Really a great idea. thanks for sharing!

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Considering you are a new seamstress, you did a GREAT job. I love the new top. What a deal!!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

gorgeous! i loooove that skirt- it looks amazing!!! and of course all your amazing stylings!

Scribbler said...

It was certainly your lucky day -- the hutch is great! You have accessorized it beautifully, too.

Miss Kitty said...

Such a creative way to cover up a useful but dated furniture piece! You have done a wonderful job accesorizing your new (to you) hutch. I love the look of your pillow and I'm sure I would love the smell of it too with the potpurri inside of it. I saw your post over at "savvy Southern Style".

Amanda said...

Wow, that is lovely! I really like the ruffle skirt you made for the base.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. Love the ruffled base. I didn't even realize it didn't match at first. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower. Would love you to stop by DIY Home Sweet Home.
I have a giveaway going on right now. I would love you to stop by and enter.

Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Christie, It is beautiful!! The skirt is wonderful and you can't beat the price.
Hugs,
Sherry

Jessica Nicely said...

Hi! I'm visiting from Someday Crafts and just wanted to say I LOVE what you did here!!! Can't believe you could have such an awesome makeover with no paint, great job!! :)

Deana said...

What a great idea. The skirt looks fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...