Monday, December 5, 2011

A Ski Lodge Christmas

 Memories can be great inspiration for decorating.  When I was young, we would go skiing almost every Christmas.  Often, we would be gone on Christmas day. 
I purchased the Swiss Army Blanket (here) a while back as a gift for my dad.  One of my favorite ski trips was to Switzerland.  The alpine mantel is a reminder to me of one that might be found in a ski lodge. Of course, you will need to pretend that it sits in front of a great big stone fireplace!
I cut the limb holding our stockings from a river birch tree in our yard.
One common tradition of the small villages is the ringing of the bells.  Children will go in the streets ringing bells such as these and sing carols.  Often the towns will compete to see who can ring their church bells the loudest to lure people to church.
I used the snow in a can to give the look of snow covered evergreens.
White ceramic pinecones came from Target.
I placed the river birch wood on top of the mantel for some balance.
We used mostly things we found outside to decorate this mantel.  Some limbs are spray painted and added to glass vases full of glittery snow.  Last year, we did a Woodland mantel (here) using things we found on a nature walk.
My MIL knits beautifully.  We have many, many Christmas stockings from her.  The white stocking was made from an old quilt.
My grandmother's frame fits nicely into the evergreen wreath displaying the antlers.  I threw handfuls of snow on the wreath to assimilate the alpine look.
I love to ski!  Although my family doesn't travel to far off places, we go to the North Carolina Mountains for a few days at Christmas.  My five year old daughter will finally get to ski this year!  The old wooden skis were a gift from Rob for my birthday.  Pottery Barn has some vintage ones just like these.
I placed some more river birch wood in this basket beside the vintage 'showshoe' chair of my mother-in-laws.  I love buffalo check.  This blanket was a gift from my sister!


Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas!

Linking here!












Sassy Sites; Wow Us Wednesday; Creative Side; Show and Tell Wednesday; Make it Yours Day Whatever Goes Wednesday Transformations & Treasures  Lil Luna Link Party;   Restored It Wednesday;  Thursday: Show Off Your Stuff Thursday; Transformation Thursday; Strut Your Stuff ThursdayHouse of Hepworths;
 Friday: Show and Share Day; Show and Tell Friday; Feature Yourself Friday; Furniture Feature Friday; Frugal Friday; Frugalicious Friday; Vintage Inspiration Friday; Flaunt it Friday; Friday Remodelaholic; Its a Hodgepodge Friday; Feature YOU Friday; ; Simply Designing; Thrifty Things Friday; Fridays Unfold; Watcha Got Weekend; Air Your Laundry; VIP Party; Weekend Wrap-up Party Style Feature Saturday; Saturday Nite Special; Craft Envy Saturday Spotlight;Sundae Scoop; Sunday Showcase



Thank you for the feature!
UndertheTableandDreaming
Pin It Now!

25 comments :

WhiteWhispers2u said...

I am lovin it! You did a great job capturing a ski lodge~Cheers Kim

Sarah said...

Christi, it looks warm and cozy. Cute idea to hang the stockings.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..I love the snow in the vases with the branches coming out..I really like the blanket on your chair..

Anonymous said...

I love this! You did an amazing job capturing the lodge effect! You are so clever to hang your stockings on a limb! What great ideas!

Unknown said...

I love that you have a theme, the alpine lodge is just perfect.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the branch holding the stockings ... so great looking!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Looks so warm and welcoming Christie. I think it is very unique too. Great idea!!

Kelly said...

Your mantel is so interesting! I've never seen a long branch like that used to hang stockings from. How cute! I love the woodsy outdoor theme you've chosen. Everything coordinates nicely.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love buffalo checks too, so I LOVE that blanket! This mantel is so beautiful! I love the branch holding the stockings and those bells!

Beautiful!

Lou Cinda

Leslie said...

Beautiful! I love your rustic but elegant ski lodge theme! Your home is always so lovely!

Merry Christmas
Leslie :)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Following you back!!

Lou Cinda ;)

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

The swiss army blanket just makes the scene! Love it!

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

This is one of the best Christmas mantels I've seen! I love your inspiration and I too love the rustic lodge look. Well done!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

I agree! One of the nicest mantles I've seen...amazing!!!

Babs said...

Christie, I love it when memories are the inspiration for decor. It always makes it so special. Love the skis, blankets and your coffee table. Very cozy look.

Janette - The2Seasons said...

I love that red buffalo check blanket. We did our sunroom in plaids and checks for a "north woods" look. We posted a blog about it yesterday. Your mantel would fit right in.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty and perfectly rustic lodge look. I especially love the birch logs with the skis and leather chair. Great use of greenery and the snow too. How lovely that it ties in with great family memories too.

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Awesome themed mantel! You have such an eye for detail, everything goes together so well! Love the use of silver birch and the branch for the stockings!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Love. Love. Love! We did the same thing using a branch as our stocking holder one year :) I'm a follower...would love for you to stop by and say hello.

Ashley Nicole Designs said...

That is so cute! I love the skis and the lodgey feel. Definitely a Christmas I could get used to.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Beautiful. Love the white deer!

At The Picket Fence said...

Christie this is incredible! I absolutely love the branch holding the stockings...genius and it really does look like a lodge in Switzerland...not that I would know! :-) My hubby has been there though and says it was hands down his most favorite place in all of Europe. You have captured this style so perfectly and I just love it!
Vanessa

The Corson Cottage said...

Beautiful! I love your simple casual style for the holidays! I found you through The Shabby Nest & I'm so glad I did. Your blog is great. I'm following along now too. I would absolutely LOVE if you would share this at The Corson Cottage at our {Home for the Holidays} link party ~ Carrie
http://thecorsoncottage.blogspot.com/2011/12/home-for-holidays-link-party-features.html

The Corson Cottage said...

Thanks for linking up! So glad to have you. Be sure to stop back next week to see our featured projects ~ Carrie

The Corson Cottage said...

Loved this so much we are featuring it at this week's party! Thanks again for linking up Christie. ~ Carrie
http://thecorsoncottage.blogspot.com/2011/12/time-flies-when-you-having-fun-at-all.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...