Friday, April 15, 2011

A Vintage Pendant Light

Okay, so it is not really vintage! Ten dollars, ten minutes and I made a vintage-looking mechanics light.
Mechanic Basket Pendant Light (Anthropologie.com) $148

This is the light I really wanted...

...but I could not bring myself to pay this amount!  I found one at an antique mall for $109 and I still couldn't buy it.  I wanted this light for a tree house.  Yes, I know...a tree house.  A tree house for my kids.  Well, the little house in the trees has four walls and a roof and in my book it calls for some decor, and it is dark in there!
Improvise.

This started...
...with this great French wire basket and a hanging pendant cord from Ikea (under $4.)  The basket didn't work.  It was too shallow and kept tilting to one side!  So...
I had this bucket from Hobby Lobby (50% off.)  I removed the galvanized bucket and saved it for another use.
 Turning the wire basket upside down, I pulled the wires apart and added the light fixture and a bulb.  I took the handle off and added it to the bottom of the basket in order to hang the 'light.'  After testing it out, I decided to switch the light bulb to a vintage one that I already had.
If I get real motivated, I might bronze the white socket, but for now, ten dollars, ten minutes for a treehouse...perfect!

 {Edited to show finished tree house.  Click here for more of this space!}

Today's project? Plant my garden!
~
For about a year I prayed the same verse from 1Thessalonians 4:11, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, work with your hands and mind your own business."  It is amazing how the Lord has answered this prayer!  While 'life' ushers in and often leaves a wake from its tidal wave of disaster, I find that God's Word, as well as, making things or doing some crafts brings peace to my soul!

What relaxes your mind and spirit? 
Cooking, exercise, crafting, gardening, sewing, reading, or writing...
I would love to hear yours!

I will be linking to my favorite sites here!  Please, please check them out! Thanks ladies!
Tip Junkie handmade projects


Thank you Kate for the feature!
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Pin It Now!

37 comments :

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Christie, I love that light. Love the light bulb. Where did you get that? Is it Pottery Barn's. I know they sell them. What gives me peace is painting furniture or mowing the yard. Have a super weekend!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

You are so clever and wise to make your own! LOVE it :D

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a great project! Super cute and thrifty too!

At The Picket Fence said...

Christie I love this! You are too clever. It's perfect for the tree house, but gosh it would be beautiful in a real house too. Very clever and frugal! The best combination. So glad to have you back with us at Inspiration Friday. We sure have missed you!

Heather

Red Couch Recipes said...

What a great mom you are to make this for you kid's tree house! I think progress, trying new things, being creative, praying, and reading the scriptures all bring me peace. Have a great weekend. Joni

Emily said...

I love your creation!!! I have loved that light from Anthropologie for a while now...your light turned out just as cute. Love the edison light bulb too, such a great vintage touch.
-emily
nestnestingnested.blogspot

Anna said...

That's awesome! If my daughter had a tree house I'd totally decorate it too, I just can't help myself. :)

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Jonel said...

Cute! I am going to the same with a lamp shade.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

So creative. I love it. I would use that inside too. Hugs, Marty

Pine Tree Home said...

That is great! I need to run back to Ikea.

Sweet European Dreams said...

Fabulous & frugal - my favorite combination! Anthropologie is definitely my inspiration as well. Glad I found you today via Common Ground! -diane
http://www.sweeteuropeandreams.com

Alison Agnew said...

this is beautiful and i love that you were able to do it so thriftily...and that filament bulb totally makes it...thanks for linking up to fridays unfolded!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Tee said...

Christie, Thanks so much for that verse reminder. I do lead a quiet life (sometimes too quiet, maybe) and do my best to mind my own business. But for whatever crazy reason I feel a little guilty about the working with my hands, the puttering around the house part, which is what I love. My weekend will be a little brighter because of you.

Jules said...

You did a great job creating your own pendant light! Looks really nice, and you saved over $100 dollars! Now that's a deal. :o)

Ido said...

That light is fantastic, I wish I could make one for my kitchen, but I gotta have somebody to remove the existing chandelier and that won't be me, too scared of electricity. You are a talented and brave girl.
Have a wonderful weekend!
XXX Ido

Anonymous said...

awesome job!! The outcome is gorgeous.. Totally loved it!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Wonderful light! I did the same thing for our over the sink light and love it! Gotta love $10!

I have a weekly linky party called Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays. It's for projects made for $10 or less. I would love for you to link up sometime!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Christie, you rock. This is one of neatest things I have seen al day! Kudos to you!

I am visiting from Common Ground.
~Ricki Jill

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I love those lights at Anthropologie, Christie! But, like you, I cannot justify the price. So...again, like you, I improvise. Your knockoff turned out terrific. Do the pixies like it as much as you do? ;)

You should link this cutie to the party, too!

Hugs,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Love the light. It looks vintage... no one would ever know!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

What a smart looking light! You have a great eye. Thanks for sharing.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

chris said...

i would love to spend some time in that tree house. with a book and an iced coffee!

Unknown said...

Christy I love it! You are so creative! Absolutely adorable. :)

Michelle
www.newengland-style.com

Mimi said...

That is so creative - I love it! And how cool is that light bulb? Thansk for sharing!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Such a great light Christie!! I love how it came out and so creative of you!! Loving that old bulb too- what a great look! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Christie, love hearing about you praying God's Word. This changed my life several years ago. Such power in this kind of prayer! And your pendant lamp is just amazing and so creative! Thanks so much for sharing it with VIF! xoxo Debra

KellyH said...

Genius!

Kate said...

Great job!! The light bulb makes it. :) I'm featuring you in my FLaunt it Friday features. Stop by and grab an I was featured button if you'd like. Thanks for linking!

The Charm of Home said...

What a wonderful job you did on that light! It is really cute! I find peace sewing and doing quite things like photography. Thanks for linking this up!
Sherry

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

How Creative!!! I love it. Your kids are so fortunate to have such a creative and thrifty mom. :) Also, thank you so much for the verse. I am going to copy it and put that in my Kitchen. Such a wonderful reminder.
Thanks for joining my Friday Pretties last week. I am sorry I am commenting so late.
Joyce

Alison Agnew said...

i love this fixture so much that i featured it this week on fridays unfolded...have a wonderful weekend!

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

Sonal said...

How creative is that...

Jen said...

Looks great!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

The vintage bulb really makes it, what a great idea! Love that it's quick, cheap and easy! xx

Anonymous said...

I love those vintage looking caged pendant fixtures too. And I KNOW - so expensive! What's up with that? Your version is equally adorable, particularly since you used the carbon filament bulb. Perfect choice! Great job!

Unknown said...

Adorable! Love the pendant light!

Deanna said...

Way cool! It turned out fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...