Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Military Blanket and Dish Towels Repurposed

You guessed it...the tree house. (Click to see it finished!)
My grandfather's WWII military blanket has been used through the years for many things, such as camping or to cover furniture while moving.  It has its share of moth holes, so I decided to make a pillow out of it for the kids' tree house. 
A seamstress I am not, but for this project, I don't think it matters if the lines are crooked!  I took one of the squares and had it monogrammed.
I added a pillow insert from another pillow not in use, and I think it turned out just fine...perfectly imperfect! Especially, since it cost me only ten bucks for the monogram!
I have had these camp chairs for a while.  I think I paid $4 each at a garage sale.  The covers were durable, but I thought they needed a fresh look and the buffalo check is my new favorite! 
 
A couple of dish towels from Homegoods...a pack for $2.99.
New seat covers!  I cut the towels to length, and stapled them underneath and on top of the existing seat cover.
Back up the tree I go to put these in their new home! 

Oh, to be a kid again!

Have a great weekend!

I will be linking to these sites!  Please go visit for some great inspiration!
I am also linking to 'May How-To' at the Lettered Cottage!
The Lettered Cottage
Pin It Now!

13 comments :

Lesslie said...

Too cute! Maybe I could come live in that treehouse....spring fever in my house is driving me nuts! Boys have found their nerf guns and bullets are EVERYWHERE!

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

These are adorable! A wonderful way to repurpose. I have always loved check fabric...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those blankets wear like iron, don't they?
Terrific pillow and chairs. They look terrific.

At The Picket Fence said...

How amazing to have that pillow made out of such an heirloom! And those camp chairs are absolutely perfect. I'm thinking that maybe it's the moms who need the tree house the most because the thought of having a little hide-out sounds pretty good to me right now...especially one as decked out as yours! :-)
Thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Friday Christie!
Vanessa

A Few Pennies said...

Adorable! I loved your posting--your little folding stools are sweet together and how pretty next to the rush-seat chair with floral pillow. Great photos. Patty

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Love that Pillow, perfect for a Tree House, but Perfect too for a Cottage room.... Love the little folding sets too.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Great job!! Love the idea of the military blanket being reused as a pillow. The stools are wonderful in that plaid. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF. xo Debra

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christie, both of these are such great ideas! I think you did a wonderful job on the pillow, and I love that you used your grandfather's military blanket. The checked seats are so cute, and how clever of you to use the towels. Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

Diann said...

I am loving those towels! they are perfect for the camp stools. And your grandfathers blanket is wonderful! Thanks for joining TTF. Have a great day!

Mimi @ messymimi said...

Stopping by from My Romantic Home here and so glad I did. What a wonderful way to use your grandfather's WWII blanket. And love the way you covered the seats with the napkins. Great job! I just know they look really cool in a tree house.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

How charming Christie~ I love the sweet sentimental pillow and the darling little stools! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Too cute! I love the new red plaid and the pillow is great!

Tamar's Treasures said...

Three Pixie Lane, I adore your style.
You follow me on Pinterest and I follow you. I am drawn to the charm surrounding all that ya'll pin or repin. My name is Tami Landreneau. I am French/(Native Am.)Indian and I celebrate Jesus,my family,my friends,my heritage,my culture,my artistic talent,drawing,painting,crafting,
cooking,baking,and sharing life with my church family,etc. Your Blog is really great, keep up the good work. Tami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...