Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The SC Palmetto Flag - Crafting with Kids

The South Carolina State Flag
On extra hot (or cold) days, crafting is a great way to entertain children.  My sweet friend has one of these 'flags' in her house that the children made at school.  Creating our own was so fun!  You can always find things around your house to create something beautiful!  My son Mason adds some finishing touches to the 'sky' in our mosaic!
We found some old magazines and flipped through the pages for colors of blue.   After we accumulated several ones, my children tore the blue pages into very small pieces.  We also tore some white pages to make the moon and the palmetto tree.  With a simple glue stick, we preceeded to glue the 'mosaic' together!  Note in the above picture, I also printed my children's names from the computer and encrypted them into the piece of art!  You can see 'Ashlyn' written on the moon before we surrounded it with magazine pieces! 
I printed the template from the computer (click here.) and took it to an office supply store to enlarge.  You can find just about any kind of printable on the computer!
It looks so pretty against the white frame and my children are so proud of their 'masterpiece!'
Final destination...the playroom, with all the other super cool art! After we made the state flag, the older children researched the history of our flag. This was a fun way to help them learn about our state and to create something memorable!


I am linking to

The CSI Project for Crafting with Kids



Pin It Now!

11 comments :

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

This is just darling1 I think I need to do this with my grand kids!
By the way, your photography is beautiful! Two questions, do you do this as a profession (they're that good), and what camera do you use?

Sorry had to ask question on comment post, I don't see an email address...
Thanks!
Terry

Terrell said...

Love this!!! It looks like they're going to follow in your creative footsteps! :) I hope you enjoy your magnet! Have a great afternoon!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

All That Glitters said...

I'm in love with this!!!! You know how we are so proud of our palmetto tree!!!! I'm in the upstate btw!!!!

Take care!
Jennifer

Monica M. Judd said...

WOW! What an awesome crafting project. And an even more special piece of artwork to display. Your the best!

Erin said...

Looks fantastic!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

OH, of course I love the subject of this post! That looks wonderful! I can imagine how much time this must have taken. Great idea!

Faith's Place said...

cute idea!! we live in s. carolina so this would be a great thing for us to make!!! Thanks for the idea!

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Hi Christie,
Thank you so much for your reply. Funny you say I must have a nice camera...NOT:) I have almost the exact same one you have only mine is the Coolpix S200! I too have been researching camera's and want to get a new one. I think I've narrowed it down to a Nikon D40/D60, although I want more lens options like a great telephoto.
I guess one of the things about your pics that is so beautiful; the composition. Its amazing in all of them. They're good enough to be a magazine ad:0) For instance, there is a little boy holding a baby starfish and he's wearing a "star" bandana! Another is a little girl holding a vintage bucket of red flowers and her dress has red in it, all great photos with natural light and beautiful composition.
Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'll be looking forward to more beautiful shots:)
Terry

craftyles said...

Great project. I love that you display the art work and make it really important!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

It is a masterpiece, and I bet they didn't even realize they were learning! laurie

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! It turned out so incredible. I love it with the white frame. Way to go!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...