Sunday, November 27, 2011

If I Had my Child to Raise Over Again...

If I had my child to raise over again
I'd build self-esteem first and the house later
I'd finger paint more and point the finger less
I would do less correcting and more connecting
I'd take my eyes off my watch and watch with my eyes
I would care to know less and know to care more
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites
I'd stop playing serious and seriously play
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars
I'd do more hugging and less tugging
I'd see the oak tree in the acorn more often
I would be firm less often and affirm much more
I'd model less about the love of power
And more about the power of love.

~Diane Loomans

My goal this season is to 'be still' and to enjoy the mystery and wonder of the Christmas season through my children's eyes.  I pray that they will be able to see Him through all the decorations and busy schedules and 'know that He is God.'

“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
~Psalm 46:10 

Blessings,
Pin It Now!

13 comments :

Sheila said...

Well said...thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy your evening and be still :)

Anonymous said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing such a touching verse! I don't have children, but I can just picture my parents and friends that did this! Just precious! I love the Psalm! So true!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post..

cherished bliss said...

Beautiful Post! Thank you for sharing! I need to do this as well. It is so easy to get caught up in the stress!

Tricia said...

I love this ♥

Michele said...

Thank you for this moving post. It's EXACTLY what I needed to read today and to remember tomorrow.

Gail said...

This post tugs at my heart and puts a lump in my throat. My baby is fast asleep right now and it's taking all my will-power to not go in there and wake him up by kiss and hug him! Thanks for sharing.

xo,
Gail

Destiny said...

What a nice reminder...It's so easy to get wrapped up in every day life and forget the our children should come first. I have really been trying to devote more time to my daughter lately. Thank you for sharing this and Happy Holidays!!! ~Destiny (Farmhouse Vintage)

Patty Marker said...

I love this poem and from a grandmother's perspective now...it is all so true. Have a blessed Christmas season. Patty

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how sometimes when you read a blog the post it exactly what you needed to hear. Feeling like an overwhelmed momma today, I had tears reading this. I need to slow down and enjoy these moments with them! I printed this and put it on my fridge. Thank you for the lovely reminder...I truly needed it today.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I can't tell you how much I look forward to every visit I make here. Your beautiful blog inspires, encourages, and uplifts me. I just wanted to say "thank you" for blogging.

Cassie Bustamante said...

this was so beautiful- i reposted it on my blog today. thank you for sharing and making me think.

Sarah said...

Christie, that is a wonderful poem. I'm glad you shared it.
Thought of you today while out on errands. I popped into a Marshalls and walked out with a box of the birch bark pencils. I'm going to copy your idea. ;-)
~ Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...