Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Marshmallows, White Candy Canes, Quilts and Lambs


Many of you asked these questions and while you may be done with Christmas, here is the scoop!
~
Marshmallows with heart...
I had big plans of making the marshmallows from scratch, so that they would be big enough to hold the heart template.  While at Wal-Mart, we found the 'big roasters' and these worked perfectly...saving me from the big effort of baking (which I don't love!)
We punched out the heart with a heart puncher (Martha Stewart from Michael's) and placed the template over the marshmallow.  I brushed a small amount of water on the marshmallow so that the sugar would adhere.  We sprinkled red sugar on some and cocoa on others.  These are fun to make with kids and just a little something extra when sipping a cup of hot cocoa!  These would be fun to make for Valentine's!


White candy canes...
The white candy canes came in a package from Target.  It was a mix of solid red, solid green and the white.  I noticed that they were on clearance after Christmas, so you might still be able to snag some for next year!  Target usually carries them every year.  Also, did you know the very first candy cane confections were all white and not the typical red and white stripes that we see today?!  We just discovered that!

Quilts...
Many of the quilts you see around my house came from outlets.  I have never spent full price on a quilt.  They can be very expensive!  Favorite places to look for quilts are Pottery Barn Outlet, Ralph Lauren Outlet, TJMaxx, and Homegoods.  I found three Ralph Lauren quilts on clearance at TJMaxx.  I bought all three and gave two as Christmas gifts.  The original price for the queen size quilt was $370.  I spent $50.  RL makes a very good quality quilt, so this was a bargain!  Quilts just exude comfort and there are always fun patterns to make a space feel cozy!

Lambs... 
Many of you have asked where I found the lambs I used at Christmas....flea markets and various shops.  I just glanced at etsy to give you some more ideas; however, I didn't spend over $25 for any of my lambs.  Lambs will start to pop up around Easter, so keep a look out!  Last year, while researching the meaning of Easter, I decided to start a small collection of lambs.  I have tons of bunnies and I love bunnies, but I couldn't explain the 'bunny' effectively to my children and how he came to symbolize Easter.  The lamb is so appropriate and just as cute as the bunny! 
~
Thanks for your inquiries and I apologize for the late response!
Happy New Year!
Pin It Now!

12 comments :

Finding Home said...

Ooh, you are so right about the bunny vs. lamb idea. Plus, the bunnies get so crazy sometimes, a little to cutesy I think. Thanks for the idea, I am off to start a lamb collection. Etsy won't know what happened!! Take care, Laura

DanielleisNesting said...

The lambs are adorable!

Noble Vintage said...

thank you so much! I was one of the ones with the lamb question- I did just get a catalog with some spring sheep / lambs in it... I will check out Etsy too! Thanks for the response!

Allison said...

I love your basket of quilts. I agree that they exude comfort. My mom loved to do hand quilting and we would go to the quilting shows together. I need to check out the stores you mentioned in search of a few more quilts for our home. Your daughter is adorable!

Erin said...

Lovely pics and even lovelier ideas! Your daughter is so pretty!

Amy Kinser said...

Great ideas and info. Love the little lambs.

Jules said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. We never haddy bunnies at Easter either. My Mom always decorated using symbols of Christ death/resurrection. Love your lamb idea! I'm going to try and remember the heart for Valentine's Day! Thanks agian. :o)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I have making homemade marshmallows on my "to do" list! YUMMY! I love that you found these huge marshmallows and put that pretty heart on them. So creative.
Your daughter is just adorable and so precious!!!! She just makes me smile from ear to ear! You must be having so much fun with her.It seems like yesterday my Jacqueline was her age... raising my children was the best thing I EVER did!

I always love visiting! I leave so lighthearted. Give that darling girl a big hug!
xo Yvonne

Kathy said...

Another post that I love! I want to be your next door neighbor, you have the best ideas.

Unknown said...

I know, it is awkward to explain how Christianity melded with some pagan fertility symbols ( in the third century) such as the eggs and rabbits. I just explain it as a spring sort of thing!

Anonymous said...

Hi there. These are the white candy canes I was hoping to use in my story about the CANDY CANE on CBN's The 700 Club. May I have permission to use the picture? Please let me know asap. Thanks!
My name is Zsa Zsa--- but my sign in is "Liz Lane"-- it's a name I go by on the radio. I work in TV and Radio. Thanks! :)
zsapalagyi@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for letting us use the white candy cane pic in the brown box. I just saw you have a white candy cane pillow and a pretty glass with white candy canes. I don't know if we will need those, but if so, may we use those, too? :) I would be happy to let you know when the story airs. In fact, if you have the images you can email to me that would be great! The bigger the jpeg the better, of course. :) My work e-mail doesn't take huge images, but my personal one can. It's zsapalagyi@yahoo.com. THANK YOU SO SO SO Much! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...