Sunday, October 3, 2010

What is in Your Heart?

The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.  Who can understand it?  Jeremiah 17:9
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.  Proverbs 4:23

One of my children said something to her sibling that was hurtful and lacking in truth.  By the world's standards, it may not have seemed that bad.  Often I do not address issues of the heart the way I should.  Sometimes, I just reprimand and move on.  But, am I really reaching their hearts?  Probably not.
I sat down with my child after tucking the others in to bed and asked her to draw a heart.  I asked her to write what is in her heart.  Naturally, she began to write, 'love, kind, good...'  Then I asked her to write what was in her heart earlier in the day when she said something inappropriate to her sister.  I had to help guide her to 'see' the sin in her heart.  I reminded her that I have sin in my heart, too.
~
Without recognizing our sins, we won't recognize our need for a Savior...the One who died for us and Who reads that little sketched heart without the stain of sin!  While we must recognize our brokenness, He sees us whole, and I am so thankful for His sweet grace to me and to my children. 
Pin It Now!

9 comments :

Vanessa said...

Oh, dear friend! You are so hitting on a nerve with this one! My oldest and I just had a conversation the other day about the connection between our hearts and our tongues...especially since lately his tongue seems to have nothing but annoying and snotty things to say to his little sister. And, isn't it so true that as we are instructing our kids, God is gently reminding us that these truths are for us too! My son's teacher gave us a list of Biblical Virtues to be praying for our children and I keep them in the bathroom and pray a few each day for my kids but also for myself! I have experienced some hurtful things lately and have been amazed that my response has been to pray for this person rather than "going-off" about it mentally and emotionally. I must be making some progress! :-) I am so grateful for your Sunday "musings" and love hearing from your heart!
Blessings to you,
Vanessa
P.S. See, I can write a book too! :-)

Craftberry Bush said...

This is a beautiful lesson for your children. Blessings.

La Table De Nana said...

How honest is that ♥? So sweet.
I think I'll draw my own this week.

Vicki said...

This is a beautiful post and lesson to share.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

What a wonderful way for your child to SEE what she has in her heart. Very smart Mom! I love the way you handled this. I think we could all use a very visual heart filled with words from time to time! Great lesson!

Carolyn said...

Very beautiful post! It is so sweet to see a young, wise mother teaching her children the truths of God!! :)

God bless you and help you to remain dedicated to Him for yourself and your children!

Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

It's me said...

Beautiful post....and also a lesson for your children but...fos many people more.....happy new week....love Ria..

Jocelyn said...

Such an excellent lesson.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Angela said...

Thank you. I will use this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...