Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Simple

I hadn't planned to make snow globes.  My daughter wanted to give some as gifts, so we made several, which prompted me to make a snow globe centerpiece for my kitchen table.  I found the caravan ornament at World Market and made the wreath for the door from a needle stem off the Christmas tree and a small bow.
Don't you just want to curl up in that cozy little spot?  My old dough bowl keeps all the 'snow' contained and the large cloche covers it all.

The reason for remodeling the kitchen fairly neutral was so that I can add any color according to the holiday or season.  Scandinavian style (A Swedish Intent)  is my fav, so I used simple decor and red and white check ribbon (Hobby Lobby, but if you live in my town, I bought it all!)
It was such a gloomy day to take pictures!  The bottle brush trees came from Wal-Mart, of which I bought almost all they had.
I made the wreath from a coat hanger and some boxwood stems from my yard.  The small hearts everywhere also hint at a Swedish style.
I love cinnamon!  Here, it is stored in an old ironstone vase for easy access during the holiday season.
The butcher block got a makeover for the holiday, too.  My daughter and I went on a walk through the woods and grabbed lots of greenery to decorate the house.  I cut the top of a small pine tree and placed it in an old enamel pot of my grandmother's with some water.  The garland is made of Scandinavian flags.  I love the crosses on each.

This fresh wreath is in our foyer.  I found the burlap brown and cream check ribbon at a specialty store in Memphis while visiting my sister.  I wish I had bought more!
There are lots of River Birch trees growing near the lake.  I peeled some of the bark off and punched these hearts out and stuck them on the wreath.  I think I will make more and punch a small hole in each to hang as ornaments on the tree...my tree is naked right now and has been for two weeks.

I am crazy about this ribbon...It looks so good with the brown and cream transferware plates displayed in the glass behind it.
 

I shared this truck with you last year where it was displayed in my son's room.  It stayed in there all year, as it seems I didn't quite get around to storing all my decorations.  The vintage lightbulbs hung on my grandparent's tree every year.
On a sign I passed the other day, it read, "J is for Jesus, O is for others, and Y is for yourself."  Placing these letters on the mantle helps us keep that in perspective.  Now, if we could just always keep that order!
 The lamb is a reminder of why we celebrate the birth of Christ.

I made the bow for this large wreath and added the pheasant feathers and some antlers for more impact. 

Last year, I tried the wreath without the painting, but the nail holes were so high, that I had to hang the wreath way above the mantle or proceed to do a big patch up job.  This year, I opted for easy and just hung it over the painting. 
It is so much cozier at night.
This has a Scandinavian appeal to it, too. I made the cake stand from an old seed dispenser (wooden part) I found in Charleston, SC and added the silver tray to the top.  The candles are held in Jefferson cups I found at flea markets.  They are easily found and usually inexpensive pewter pieces.
 
I hope to post a bit more regularly before Christmas...'hope' is the operative word.  We have moved on to our master bedroom and bathroom remodel and my house is in a bit of chaos.  Of course, you can't see my master bed that is sitting in my living room or the chairs and side tables piled around my naked evergreen tree!  Wrapping paper and Christmas projects or school projects are in every corner.  What a mess!  I'll share the photos with you later!
 

Thanks for stopping by!
 




here

Savvy Southern Style  
Pin It Now!

31 comments :

Margitta said...

Christy, I love your holiday home... and your blog! :) Greetings from Norway!

Francine Gardner said...

I love your Christmas globes and the hearts made out of bark...

Vicki said...

Your Christmas decor is perfect. I love, love, love your nativity scene on the chalkboard.

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

Everything is just beautiful! I love your simple Christmas- exactly my style too!

tawn said...

Christy, I was happy to see your post. I had you on my mind this morning, thinking that I had not seen a recent post of any "pins". Your home is beautiful, as usual...even through the chaos.

Merry Christmas!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I like how you hung the wreath over your beautiful heron painting on the mantel.It is wonderful that you don't have to move your "year round" art just for the holidays! I have a portrait of my children over the mantel that is too big to move so I always struggle with what to do with it for the holidays. I have resorted to covering it up with a piece of fabric. Your decorations are wonderful!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I'm really loving your brown and white checked ribbon, too, along with that snow globe in the dough bowl on your table. Simple is beautiful!

Doreen @ Hymns and Verses said...

Wow - I think your home is my favorite in the party! I love everything - especially the truck with the bulbs! I'm your newest follower!

Blessings for a Merry Christmas!

Doreen

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Great style, Christie! Love your house! particularly the clean look of Scandinavians style, and the checked bow/ribbon, and the cute trucks,....
Have a Merry Christmas1
-Trish

Suzy said...

Christie - I just love it all! And I about fell over when I saw that cute travel trailer ornament!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love it all!

Karen said...

Christie, I love the "simplicity". I posted about simplicity the other day too. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! Merry Christmas!
~ Karen

Karen said...

Christie, love the "simplicity". I posted the other day about things being kept simple. Absolutely love your style. ~ Merry Christmas & may your family make sweet memories this holiday season.
~Karen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..I love the silver cups with the moss and pillar candles in them..Have a wonderful week..

Anonymous said...

I have a thing for little trees this year, mainly bottle brush trees. I've found a few at Rite Aid and thrift stores. Thanks for telling me about Wal-Mart. I'll try there too. Love the Christmas decor.

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Pretty, pretty..I love it all!
Hugs, Penny

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very nice. So many great elements. Love the nativity on the chalkboard. It's simple, but very engaging.

Sandy said...

Your home is warm and inviting! I love every little detail of your holiday decorating. Even on a dreary day it looks fabulous and brightens the spirit!

Anonymous said...

Christie: I have missed you...love your decorating style. Will look forward to seeing your bedroom transformation. --Marti Romans 15:13

Kathy F. said...

I think every one of your pictures could be a greeting card or a large picture hanging on the wall. Thanks for sharing. Your blog is one of my favorites!

Tina said...

So pretty..... especially the cloche/doughbowl creation. Love it all! Merry Christmas!

Cassie Bustamante said...

it al looks beautiful as always- i still remember last year's tour! :) love the little camper with the trees!

Dannyelle @ www.lifeisaparty.ca said...

I never leave a comment, but I often stop by so I thought I'd say hi, and Merry Christmas! Love how the new kitchen looks dressed up for the holidays!
Dannyelle

Brenda said...

Christie - your holiday home is just lovely, so inviting and cozy. My favorite is the boxwood wreath hanging on the brown plaid ribbon, beautiful. Thank you so much for visiting my blog Love Where You Live and for taking time to leave such a kind comment. I appreciate it very much. Happy Holidays to you and your family. :)

Julie Marie said...

Hi Christie... I am here from Debra's party... I just love all of your vintage Christmas, especially the little old truck carrying your grandparent's lights and alot of precious memories... also love all the boots lined up by the fireplace... so warm and inviting!... Merry Christmas to you!... xoxo Julie Marie

Anonymous said...

Love your blog Christie and am now following. Your home is picture perfect...so warm and inviting. Love that sweet truck with your grandparents old lights in it and that wing chair in your kitchen. I would be sitting there most of the day. :) Happy Holidays and enjoy the season. xoxo

Free Art Printables said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely holiday home!!!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Christie, I always love coming to visit. Your home is one of my faves in blogland, just beautiful and so comfortable! thanks so much for coming to the party!

Christine at Little Brags said...

amazing...pinned a bunch
Christine from Little Brags

jlrty53 said...

HI! I need to know where you purchased that Brown and white burlap ribbon. Can you please tell me which store it was in Memphis? I have looked everywhere on the internet for it and cannot find it! Thanks...email me at jttt53@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Your JOY made me think of a song I used to sing with the kids!
To the tune of "Jingle Bells":

J - O - Y, J - O - Y!
Surely this must mean
Jesus, first, yourself last
And others in between.
(Repeat)

Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...