Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Harvest Time

Cups and saucers are ready for after dinner coffee...
The table is set with a mix of everyday flatware.  The linen placemats add some femininity to this 'steak and potatoes' meal!
An oil painting of our youngest daughter rests on an antique English bamboo easel.  The house has so many windows and not so many large spaces to hang pictures!  I pulled in this bench and grain sack to break up the look of the arts and crafts style table and chairs.  Two smaller French chairs sit across the table.
All those lovely apples...we have had our fair share of apples this year!  They make a great centerpiece in this old herb crate, which sits low so conversation isn't hindered.
My dining room is a bit of a 'hodge podge' of things.  The craftsman table and hutch (not shown) were the first pieces of furniture we purchased eighteen years ago.  They were made by an amish fellow from Pennsylvania and are wonderfully crafted, but I sure would like something a little bit bigger!  It would help with all the family gatherings!  My husband has such a fondness for it, so it will stay!  But stay tuned...it is getting a makeover (without paint!)


I took down some blue willow plates and hung these 'Harvest Time' plates for fall.
The sign above the wine cabinet is an old billiard's score board from a British pub.  The pewter bowl in front is a favorite piece!  I use it to hold arrangements or to chill wine.
I found this little etching next to my wine cabinet at an antique store near Hilton Head, SC.  It was practically nothing and is one of my favorites!  I love charcoal or pencil drawings and this one has so much character.  I wonder who the man is...maybe he was an old fisherman from nearby with years of the salty air and sea taking its toll.
I believe this chair is called an 'Eastlake' chair.  It was given to me recently by my dad and holds the service of coffee for after dinner.  I love pewter, so I added this creamer and sugar set instead of the Harvest Time.  There are three sets in this large collection, but sometimes I don't like things to be too matchy matchy!
I never appreciated this set of ironstone until learning more about it from other bloggers.  This set from Johnson Bros. of England is called, "Harvest Time."  My parents lived in England for a time (my dad was stationed there with the Air Force.)  They purchased a full set with enough plates to serve 20 people and gave the set to my grandparents!  This seems odd to me now, because my grandparents never had large dinner parties and their sweet, cozy home sat six people comfortably at the dining room table.  My mom was an only child, so there wasn't a large family to feed!  Maybe it was a really good deal.  I am still perplexed as to how they got all of this ironstone back to the states!  Nonetheless, and with no less appreciation, I received this full set when my dear grandparents passed away.  It is a lovely set and I am  very grateful!  I am yet to have a dinner party for 20 people! 

Well, that is about all I have for fall, ya'll.  It is on to Christmas!  I have missed my friends in blogland! 

I am linking to BNOTP Tablescape Thursday!


Pin It Now!

37 comments :

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I LOVE Johnson Bros"... They have SO many gorgeous patterns and I would LOVE them all... I use "Friendly Village", BUT I do have pieces of other and yours is one of my favorites. I too LOVE pewter and I totally agree with the "No matchy, Matchy". I do the SAME thing. It's SO much more fun and gets LOTS of more attention! Loved every detail of your post and your story is beautiful...
Hugs to you,
Donna

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a beautiful set of dishes you inherited, perfect for fall. I have pewter but never thought to mix it with the dishes, thanks for the inspiration:)

Rondell

Debbie said...

I'm another one who loves Johnson brothers. That set looks just perfect with your centerpiece and linens. I love the simplicity. It looks like something that would be set in an old farmhouse. (Very much my taste)

Love your wine cabinet, too. Just had to give it a shout out!

a quiet life said...

beautiful table~

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Gorgeous setting and photos as always. I love the herb crate filled with apples. Simple and yet it makes a statement.

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Everything on this post is Beautiful & Interesting!! There are so many things that I love on here that I am not going to name them all, but I will say that the little, white, owl vase- So Cute!
Everything look so cozy and inviting,
Joyce

Erin @ The Little Apartment said...

I loved looking at your pictures. Beautiful.

Rachel Noelle Pallas said...

~*Beautiful setting!!~*~Hugs,Rachel

Tire Swing Mom said...

My favorite is the old herb crate. I love it.

Amy Kinser said...

I love your crate full of apples in the center of your table. It truly looks perfect there. I also love the scoreboard on top of your wine rack.

The dishes, however, are my favorite thing. I inherited my nanny's set when she passed away. I love "Harvest Time".

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

The dishes are gorgeous! The table setting is lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing! Angie xo

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I've always loved that china pattern! Your tray on the chair really caught my eye. So charming!

Jacqueline said...

Everything in the room is just gorgeous and the china is beautiful but my heart stopped at the apple box centerpiece. What a showstopper.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Such a lovely and cozy room.... I loved seeing it.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Christie...

Fabulous! What a beautiful autumn table, my friend! I would love to have a seat here and enjoy a meal! Wow...and what a fabulous view that your dining area has...love, love, LOVE all the walls of windows!!! I really love your old Amish table...it's gorgeous! Beautiful place settings...I love this Johnson Bros. pattern and it's perfect for this season! But I must tell you that my favorite thing is that big ol' wooden herb box filled full of apples! Gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful table with us...it really is lovely! By the way...the painting of your daughter is gorgeous! What a pretty girl!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Lynn said...

What a great setting, lovin' your Johnson Bros! That owl is a hoot:@)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a beautiful table. The simplicity just sings! It allows all the lovely ironstone and the room itself to be the stars.
What a perfect pattern for fall... and your centerpiece... something to lust over. You really pulled this off to the last detail.
I really love the painting of your little one. I have a portrait of my daughter, and it is such a treasure.
YOur dinning room is exquisite! All those beautiful windows. I am thrilled I had a couple of minutes to visit. I would love to have visited in person!

It's me said...

Wowwww your table looks fine !!! i like those apples in the box!! ...happy day darling......love Ria.....

Barbara said...

I just love the simplicity of your table. The crate full of apples is delightful - simple, rustic and a true feel of the season. Your dishes are just lovely, especially with the history. Each detail of your dining room was so well thought out and special. Lovely!

Erin said...

Christie, I love everything that you have shown us. From the pattern of plates, to the apples in the middle, to the beautiful painting of your daughter, to the other elements in your room. I never walk away from a post of yours thinking, it lacks something. Everything is always beautifully displayed and makes me feel like I have just been privy to see it. So thank you :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christie, I don't think I've seen this room before. I love those wonderful big windows. Everything you do looks like it belongs in a magazine. I love the way you make it look effortless, even though I know it is not. The apple centerpiece in that wooden box is a perfect example of beautiful looking effortless. I love the J.B. china, and I love your story about it. How wonderful that you now have it to enjoy. laurie

Sonny G said...

Your table is so pretty.. Love those placemats and the apples in a box were the perfect accessory.. The perfect combination of feminine and natural.. well done, indeed~!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Your dishes are extra special because of their history! And I do like them with the pewter pieces. That teapot looks big enough to fill many cups--just the way I like them. Linda

Vanessa said...

Hey Friend!!! I was just getting ready to try and shoot you an email to see how you are doing! How are you doing? :-) This tablescape is so gorgeous and I was totally drooling over your wine cabinet. Wish I could come and have a glass with you! :-) Your windows are beautiful and I love the roman shades softening them but not taking away from the view...and that oil painting of your daughter?? Gorgeous! I pray all is well for you guys and that your little corner booth is getting up and running without too much stress involved!
Blessings,
Vanessa

All The Pretty Dishes said...

Your tablescape looks lovely. I think the crate full of apples is just charming.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there- I have missed seeing you around blogland recently! Your table setting is wonderful! I love your china & the bin of apples is so welcoming- Your posts are always so beautiful! :)

Scribbler said...

This is a wonderful room -- so welcoming. Aren't you the lucky one to inherit all those wonderful dishes?

Alycia Nichols said...

I love, love, love that centerpiece with the apples!!! Very creative!

Mary said...

Love getting a peak into your dining room~ your art & collections~ Love the bench with your table... it makes for cozy seating! We have the same dishes this week :-)

Tess said...

Ohhhhhh....the colors of this table are so elegant! I love your dishes and the story of where they came from is great! Really beautiful table...

Custom Comforts said...

What a beautiful table. I love the simplicity of it all and the subdued colors. The apples give it just the punch of color it needs. How lucky you are to have such a lovely and large set of dishes.
Cindy

Entertaining Women said...

Harvest Time is such a comforting, elegant pattern. I love it. The pewter is the perfect appointment. Thank you for sharing your family treasures and your lovely design. Cherry Kay

Debby S. said...

Wonderful!!!! The Harvest Time is beautiful! You have such amazing windows. What a lovely diningroom!

Debbiedoos said...

What a beautiful post...I loved every little detail about it, even went back up to look again:) Have a great weekend and thanks for the inspiration.

Marigene said...

I love your very simple, yet elegant table...the china is one of my favorites...the perfect pattern for fall. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,
Your blog is my favorite! I just love all your beautiful decor. I stumbled upon Three Pixy Lane while visiting a party you were linked up with. I am hooked! everyday I check to see if you have posted anything new and If not I just look over the older posts. I love your style, love your home and all your elegant ideas using everyday items. You inspire me.
Thanks for sharing. Kate Reddan

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is a beautiful table. I love that pattern and have found one plate at a yard sale. You are lucky to have such a large number of pieces. Your home is beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...